Old April 25th 06, 04:46 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Amy

Default international radio

I like listening to foreign radio stations via the internet. But it is
not practical for me to listen via my computer. Does anyone know if
there is a way or a gizmo that will let me access my choice of foreign
radio stations on my stereo? I am a beginner at this.
Thanks
Amy

Old April 25th 06, 06:13 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Doug Smith W9WI

Amy wrote:
I like listening to foreign radio stations via the internet. But it is
not practical for me to listen via my computer. Does anyone know if
there is a way or a gizmo that will let me access my choice of foreign
radio stations on my stereo? I am a beginner at this.

One option, since it appears you're in Canada, is to record CBC Radio
One overnight. Between 1 and 5am they relay various foreign stations.
You could get a cable with two "RCA" plugs on one end and a "1/8" stereo
plug" on the other (available at Radio Shack and most computer stores)
to patch a tape record output on your stereo to the "line input" on your
computer's sound card, then use a timed recording program like Total
Recorder (http://www.highcriteria.com , there are other choices out
there) to automatically record to your hard disk at the desired time.

--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View (Nashville), TN EM66

Old April 25th 06, 06:34 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
junius

I might take some heat for mentioning satellite radio in a shortwave
forum. Nevertheless, it seems an option that you might consider, given
what you're interested in doing:

Sirius satellite radio, now available in Canada, has a variety of
programming from international broadcasters. Check out the content on
the World Radio Network (Sirius channel 140):
http://www.sirius.com/servlet/Conten...=1102975192966

Also, Sirius's PRI channel has carries DW programming, among other
things. The CBC Radio One channel on Sirius also carries a few hours
of the Overnight programming mentioned by Doug.

This does, of course, requires a subscription, your payment of a
monthly fee, and your purchase of a Sirius satellite radio receiver and
antenna. A lot of these receivers have FM transmit options whereby you
can receive the signal from your satellite receiver onto any FM tuner
in your home. Also, of course, there are line out jacks for direct
connection to your stereo equipment.

Then there's the shortwave radio route which is another story
altogether... Very interesting and a lot of fun... Might require a
bit more patience initially and a willingness to endure sometimes less
than optimal audio quality.

junius

Amy wrote:
I like listening to foreign radio stations via the internet. But it is
not practical for me to listen via my computer. Does anyone know if
there is a way or a gizmo that will let me access my choice of foreign
radio stations on my stereo? I am a beginner at this.
Thanks
Amy

203 English-language HF Broadcasts audible in NE US (27-NOV-04) Albert P. Belle Isle Shortwave 1 December 1st 04 05:09 AM
shortwv John Lauritsen Shortwave 0 November 28th 04 07:19 PM
183 English-language HF Broadcasts audible in NE US (30-MAR-04) Albert P. Belle Isle Shortwave 6 April 2nd 04 04:09 PM