RadioBanter

-   -   NRD-515 vs Drake R7a (https://www.radiobanter.com/shortwave/94920-nrd-515-vs-drake-r7a.html)

Somebody Somewhere May 21st 06 08:15 PM

NRD-515 vs Drake R7a

John Berenyi wrote:
I have both these rigs fully accessorized. The 515 has the sherwood
filters, speaker, keypad controller, memory unit, 10-turn pot, etc. The R7A
has speaker and all the Drake filters for SWLing and the RV75. I also use
Sherwood's SE-3 Synch Detector with both rigs. I'm contemplating (lighlty)
to sell one of them but I"m having a hard time with choosing. They are both
unique in their own way. Both are 5-Star rated receivers. What do you guys
think?

Tough decision.

I have both. As far as performance goes, I think the R7 has the edge.
The R7 has a notch filter and the 515 doesn't. The R7 has a good noise
blanker, while the 515's noise blanker is generally useless. The R7
seems to be more sensitive at lower frequencies. However, the 515 is
built like a tank and should last longer. My R7 has had 2 component
failures already, while the 515 just keeps on truckin. New receivers
come and go, yet none of them seem to have the "magic" of the R7 and
515. Maybe it's because they're both real radios instead of computers
with RF circuitry thrown in.

If I were you, I'd keep them both. Otherwise, it's a coin toss.

dxAce May 21st 06 08:23 PM

NRD-515 vs Drake R7a

Somebody Somewhere wrote:

John Berenyi wrote:
[...]

Just out of curiosity, what component failures have you had?

dxAce
Michigan
USA

John Barnard May 21st 06 08:27 PM

NRD-515 vs Drake R7a

m II wrote:
dx(FMLAO)Ace wrote:

Doesn't the Drake drift slightly?

Not as much as you do.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Your astounding, rapier like wit never ceases to amaze. A few more years
of practice and you may well become as talented as your mentor, cuhulin...

mike

Dxdisgrace seems to have mimicked Cuhulin's "humping the pooch" act
rather well.

JB

dxAce May 21st 06 08:33 PM

NRD-515 vs Drake R7a

John Barnard wrote:

m II wrote:
dx(FMLAO)Ace wrote:

Doesn't the Drake drift slightly?

Not as much as you do.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Your astounding, rapier like wit never ceases to amaze. A few more years
of practice and you may well become as talented as your mentor, cuhulin...

mike

Dxdisgrace seems to have mimicked Cuhulin's "humping the pooch" act
rather well.

Ahhhhhhh... another dumbass Canuck heard from.

LMFAO

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Somebody Somewhere May 21st 06 08:48 PM

NRD-515 vs Drake R7a

dxAce wrote:
Somebody Somewhere wrote:

John Berenyi wrote:
[...]

Something in the band switch circuitry and something driving some of
the LED segments (I forget the exact components, maybe a cap and an
IC?).

dxAce May 21st 06 08:52 PM

NRD-515 vs Drake R7a

Somebody Somewhere wrote:

dxAce wrote:
Somebody Somewhere wrote:

John Berenyi wrote:
[...]

OK. I had a diode go out in the power supply of my original R7.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

[email protected] May 22nd 06 02:53 AM

NRD-515 vs Drake R7a

John Berenyi wrote:
If I were you, I'd keep them both. Otherwise, it's a coin toss.

I hear ya. Its almost like you have to keep both...its that hard of a
decision. One thing some people don't know unless they have the SE-3 and
used it; the R7A's passband tuning works with the Sherwood SE-3 Synch
Detector. It does not work with the 515. This is all due to the design
limitations of the 515.

This is one of the beautiful things about the R7(a) and SE-3 combo that
has to be experienced to be appreciated. That alone should make your
decision for you.
Keep the Drake.
Never heard a 515, but the audio on the R7 sure isn't anything special.
Probably the only flaw in the whole rig.
Just out of curiosity, what filter bandwidths do you have in the Drake?

m II May 22nd 06 04:27 AM

NRD-515 vs Drake R7A vs dxAce:IQ73

dx(FMLAO on the first day after the weekend and just before Monday)Ace
wrote:

Your astounding, rapier like wit never ceases to amaze. A few more years
of practice and you may well become as talented as your mentor, cuhulin...

You dumbass Canucks are amazed easily, aren't you?

LMFAO

Very true.

In your case I am completely amazed by almost nothing. Amazing what
absolutely no substance or worth can do for my enjoyment. I think of you
as the Homeopathy of Humour. You've been diluted so far that any
semblance to humanity and good fun is long gone.

mike

dxace1 May 22nd 06 05:03 AM

NRD-515 vs Drake R7a

As have many of us, I have settled on the R7(A) and 515 as
two of my keepers. The 515 is extraordinarily sensitive and
I believe even more than the R7A. But the R7 has so many
tuning options, including the amazing Passband, notch and
selectivity options, that it makes DXing a breeze. I have
never minded the ergonomics of the R7 that much. The addition
of a RV75, which has become one of the rarest items on
Ebay, improves thing a lot with the R7.

Would be interest in finding out from other 515 owners if anyone
has located the master oscillator adjustment pot (if there is
one) as I would like to bring my 515 smack on frequency.