RadioBanter

-   -   Degen DE1101 Kaito KA1101 (https://www.radiobanter.com/shortwave/95491-degen-de1101-kaito-ka1101.html)

Ph45 Man May 29th 06 07:41 PM

Degen DE1101 Kaito KA1101

Was thinking about a portable and ran across a Kato KA1101 at a good
price. Do any of you know anything about these radios pro or con?

Thanks
Wayne

[email protected] May 29th 06 08:16 PM

Degen DE1101 Kaito KA1101

Ph45 Man wrote:
Was thinking about a portable and ran across a Kato KA1101 at a good
price. Do any of you know anything about these radios pro or con?

Thanks
Wayne

Good choice - just don't buy anything Grundig, especially, the S350 !
The Kaito
and Degen are the same radio - the Kaito is, I believe, is made by
Degen, but
marketed/sold in the USA, and the Degen is sold over Ebay, directly
from overseas.
The Kaito is more expensive, but is easier to return w/warranty. They
are
dual-conversion (cuts down on SW images), digital PLL tuning (prevents
drifting),
and with single-sideband/SSB (enables listening to "ham" operators and
utility
stations). The S50 is just analog w/digital readout (drifts), does not
have
dual-conversion (lots of SW images), or SSB. Look at:

http://www.radiointel.com/review-degende1103.htm

These radios can be ordered off Ebay.com, for $45 + $20 S&H for the
Degen and
considerably more for the Kaito...

switcher May 30th 06 05:36 AM

Degen DE1101 Kaito KA1101

In article ,
"Lisa Simpson" wrote:

I have a Kaito KA1101; excellent portable IMHO . . .

But a 1103 is better / maybe cheaper ??

--
een appeltje te schillen met http://applefaulty.be
http://users.fulladsl.be/spb13810/bwnl.htm

John S. May 30th 06 02:44 PM

Degen DE1101 Kaito KA1101

Ph45 Man wrote:
Was thinking about a portable and ran across a Kato KA1101 at a good
price. Do any of you know anything about these radios pro or con?

Thanks
Wayne

Unless you can get it for very very cheap (under $25.00), I would go
for a DE1103 and enjoy many more features (about $65.00 delivered).

Ph45 Man May 30th 06 10:34 PM

Degen DE1101 Kaito KA1101

Well i went ahead and ordered the Katio KA-1101. Passport to the world
gave it a good rating so did some of the reviews i read cant wait till
it gets here.

Thanks for input people

Wayne

Lisa Simpson May 30th 06 11:26 PM

Degen DE1101 Kaito KA1101

I'm sure you'll enjoy it; I use mine nightly; got it right by the bed on the
nightstand! I also use one of those Sangean Portable SW Antenna model Ant
60 clipped to the curtain rod, but to be honest it's all indoors so doesn't
boost reception a lot over the attached telescoping antenna . . .