Old June 5th 06, 05:58 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
HankG

Default Amateur incryption?

While tuning through 20 meters, I came across a transmission on 14.1730 at
17:50 UTC. As I tried to bring in the station, I realized that it was
encrypted.

It ended abruptly at 17:53 and started again at 17:57. Not your typical ham
QSO.

Is encryption allowed by hams?

HankG

Old June 5th 06, 06:04 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
an old freind

HankG wrote:
While tuning through 20 meters, I came across a transmission on 14.1730 at
17:50 UTC. As I tried to bring in the station, I realized that it was
encrypted.

It ended abruptly at 17:53 and started again at 17:57. Not your typical ham
QSO.

Is encryption allowed by hams?

no

but how can you telling it was encrypted

Not knowing the HF Band plan it could have been one of the various
digtal mode to go on and off as you describe could simply have been a
qso where you could only hear one station instead of both

HankG

Old June 5th 06, 06:21 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Bob Miller

On Mon, 5 Jun 2006 12:58:35 -0400, "HankG" wrote:

While tuning through 20 meters, I came across a transmission on 14.1730 at
17:50 UTC. As I tried to bring in the station, I realized that it was
encrypted.

It ended abruptly at 17:53 and started again at 17:57. Not your typical ham
QSO.

Is encryption allowed by hams?

HankG

I'm not aware of it being allowed, but then, I'm also not aware of any
FCC rule saying an amateur cannot encrypt a message.

There are a number of digital modes, both voice and data, and you may
have just run across one of those.

bob
k5qwg

Old June 5th 06, 07:44 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
HankG

"Bob Miller" wrote in message
On Mon, 5 Jun 2006 12:58:35 -0400, "HankG" wrote:

While tuning through 20 meters, I came across a transmission on 14.1730

at
17:50 UTC. As I tried to bring in the station, I realized that it was
encrypted.

It ended abruptly at 17:53 and started again at 17:57. Not your typical

ham
QSO.

Is encryption allowed by hams?

HankG
I'm not aware of it being allowed, but then, I'm also not aware of any
FCC rule saying an amateur cannot encrypt a message.

There are a number of digital modes, both voice and data, and you may
have just run across one of those.

To Bob & Friend:

I am familiar with the digital modes and have monitored them extensively
using MultiPSK. This was clearly an encrypted voice transmission as I have
monitored them on military HF.

There were two distinct 'voices' going back and forth with a long period of
silence in between.

HankG

Old June 5th 06, 07:46 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Caveat Lector

Hams are authorized to send digital data such as RTTY, PSK31 and others
Is this what you heard??

Also by gentle persons agreement and tradition - Hams operate Upper Side
Band on the 20M phone band, BUT they are allowed to operate Lower Sideband
as well -- few do. You may have heard a LSB signal

USA Amateur Extra class hams can operate phone from 14.150-14.350 MHz:
So I suspect you heard a LSB signal -- just switch to LSB when you can't
"unscramble" a signal.

RE Encrypted messages -- see
http://www.arrl.org/FandES/field/reg...s/news/part97/
FCC Part 97.113 Prohibited transmissions.
(4) Music using a phone emission except as specifically provided elsewhere
in this section; communications intended to facilitate a criminal act;

messages encoded for the purpose of obscuring their meaning,

except as otherwise provided herein; obscene or indecent words or language;
or false or deceptive messages, signals or identification;

--
CL -- I doubt, therefore I might be !

Old June 6th 06, 07:01 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
clifto

Bob Miller wrote:
I'm not aware of it being allowed, but then, I'm also not aware of any
FCC rule saying an amateur cannot encrypt a message.

Now you are. 47 CFR 97.113(a)(4)

Hams couldn't use ASCII until relatively recently. FCC declared it a code
and said it was illegal for ham use and maintained that stance for years.

--
Britney Spears' Guide to Semiconductor Physics
http://britneyspears.ac/lasers.htm