RadioBanter

-   -   For Pete Gianakopolis - IC-R70 comments/question (https://www.radiobanter.com/shortwave/99491-re-pete-gianakopolis-ic-r70-comments-question.html)

Radioman July 21st 06 08:21 PM

For Pete Gianakopolis - IC-R70 comments/question

Sorry about all the replies, next time I' ll
clean my glasses first.
I had an R 70, sorry I let it go. I'll take its tuning strangeness just
to avoid
the memory battery over an R71A. I think most of the "71" mods apply.
Radioman in Michigan

wrote:
Hi Pete; I just recently acquired an essentially mint Icom R70 off of
Ebay. It has the 500 kHz CW narrow filter included and came with the
manual and original box. After using this radio for a couple of weeks
I'm very impressed short of the weird ergonomics and the end of band
tuning anomalies. The sensitivity and selectivity are superb and the
BP shift and IF notch are among the best I've used. The audio is a bit
on the shallow side but I replaced a few of the electrolytic coupling
caps with film caps and the difference was very noticeable. I also
removed the LW/MW input attenuator and disabled the input rf amp defeat
for MW/LW. It can now be switched on and off from the front panel
switch. What is your experience with this radio and are there any other
improvement modifications that you know of?

Comments on this receiver from others are welcome.

Frank
K3YAZ
Tucson