Old March 14th 06, 03:36 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
Paul P

Default HX-50 Linearizing the output of the 2nd mixer & Driver stages - Help Please.

I found the 10m oscillator problem. The first plate choke needed more uh.
I added an additional slug and the heterodyne oscillator sprung to life. I
will later replace both slugs with a single one.

BUT

Now I am trying to linearize the output with in each band. While feeding in
an external VFO frequency, with the heterodyne oscillator tube remove, one
must sweep the band and insure it is with in 1db. I got all the bands
except the 10m band. It is real tricky.

I use both a scope and a VTVM with RF probe. I can see the VTVM drop while
the amplitude of the wave form stays relatively unchanged. But the wave
form changes shape. It goes ever so slightly triangular and the VTVM drops
like a rock. I can see why the original owner put an external filter on the
case. It must have been throwing out harmonics.

I also found that it does not like 1k ohm carbon film resistors in the plate
300v B+ circuits (not the final). I replaced those with metal oxide.

Anyone ever successfully accomplish this alignment step? And how did you do
it?

Please help before I pull out the rest of my hair.

Thanks,
Paul.