Old March 25th 06, 01:52 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
David LaValley

Default Fair Price For TCS 14 pair w/ cables?

Need to clean basement for pending move. They were sold to me in an
attic cleaniing. Any ideas what a fair price might be? Thanks.
Old March 26th 06, 01:47 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
K3HVG

Dave,
Everyone will have their respective opinion as to your question, and I
will be no exception. Several years ago, I bought my TCS-12 system with
the tuner, control box, and manual all in excellent/working condition
and with matching serial numbers. There were, however, no cables nor
power supply. I paid $525 for the system. If your units are in like
condition, if they have not been modified, much less butchered
(connectors replaced with octal sockets, etc.), perhaps the receiver
would have the Navy noise limiter mod installed, maybe a crystal or two
installed, and if it works (or can be readily made to work), I'd say
that it could fetch... maybe $300 to the right buyer. That would be
someone who's been looking for a TCS and really wants one to get on the
air. If the gear is a pig-in-a-poke and there's no bona fide reason to
believe they will work without any real intervention, then I'd say...
perhaps $150-$200 for the pair. You could add about $40-$60 for the
cables, or sell them separately, if you choose. Again, my take on the
situation and the value of everything, including the cables, absolutely
subject to condition.

Old March 26th 06, 09:12 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
David LaValley

David LaValley wrote:
Need to clean basement for pending move. They were sold to me in an
attic cleaniing. Any ideas what a fair price might be? Thanks.

Thanks for the reply, $150.00 sounds like a fair average for the 3
pieces with cables. I haven't put power to the units but was able to
get around 460 volts out of the dynamotor. I don't dare go much beyond
that. 73 de N1FXX.
Old March 31st 06, 09:44 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors

..... Any ideas what a fair price might be? Thanks.

.... Several years ago, I bought my TCS-12 system with the tuner,
control box, and manual all in excellent/working condition and with
matching serial numbers. There were, however, no cables nor power
supply. I paid $525 for the system....

FWIW (not much, but I can't resist bragging), in about 1969 I purchased
NINETEEN brand-new TCS-13 sets from DoD surplus sales in California for
$10.51 EACH. Each part was wrapped in a multi-layer desicant-inside "sack"
and they were all in a large (roughly 2x2x4 feet? It's been a long time,
but my kids built really-nice "forts" out of them!) wooden box with ALL
accessories except power supply: two sets of cables, control box, two
keys, two mics, tuner, a bunch of spare parts such as cable sockets,
mounting plates, and I don't remember what else. I sold 17 of them and
still have two (although I haven't turned them on for so long that I'm
afraid they my not work any longer. I later bought noise limiter kits
for each and one dynamotor set just so I could say I had operated using
a dynamotor!

Ham radio is FUN and it's been good to me.

But boy! TCS systems ARE boat-anchors!

--
--Myron A. Calhoun.
Five boxes preserve our freedoms: soap, ballot, witness, jury, and cartridge
Old March 31st 06, 10:03 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors
JB

Fun rigs. Broad as a barn, but full break-in cw. Should last forever but
look out for band switch contacts. They are prone to catching and twisting
all out of shape from too much contact pressure or not enough lube.