Old February 8th 07, 11:36 PM posted to rec.radio.cb

Default COBRA 148GTL on 10 meters

I have an original Cobra 148GTL CB Radio. I know that i can modify it
to operate in the 10Meter band by switching the crystal to a
11.6908MHz crystal.

is anybody familiar with this mod? If so, how do i determine what
frequency each channel will be at? will i need to purchase a freq.
countert o determine what freq. will go with what channel?

Also, will my 102: whip work with 10M, or rather will it give me a
close enough SWR to suffice, or will i need to purchase a new antenna?

Any information or assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Eddie

p.s.. I have my ham radio license already..

Old February 8th 07, 11:41 PM posted to rec.radio.cb

"john james" wrote in message
I have an original Cobra 148GTL CB Radio. I know that i can modify it
to operate in the 10Meter band by switching the crystal to a
11.6908MHz crystal.

is anybody familiar with this mod? If so, how do i determine what
frequency each channel will be at? will i need to purchase a freq.
countert o determine what freq. will go with what channel?

Also, will my 102: whip work with 10M, or rather will it give me a
close enough SWR to suffice, or will i need to purchase a new antenna?

Any information or assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Eddie

p.s.. I have my ham radio license already..

The 102 inch whip will be too long unless you use a tuner. If you are going
to permanently convert it, just cut the whip, and possibly purchase another
to use on 11M.

http://www.usenet.com
Old February 9th 07, 03:00 AM posted to rec.radio.cb

The 102 inch whip will be too long unless you use a tuner. If you are going
to permanently convert it, just cut the whip, and possibly purchase another
to use on 11M.

So how much would you trim off the whip? There are a lot of HAM/CBer's waiting
to jump on 10 meters with their existing equipment.

Do I need to trim the whip on a Wilson 1000 to make it happy on 28.365?
Old February 9th 07, 03:33 AM posted to rec.radio.cb

Well, I know I found charts a few years ago for this mod, but I can no
longer locate them. now I can only find the freq.s listed for the
expanded channels obtained by shorting Pin 10 of the PLL chip, and
this is not the mod i want to perform on this radio...

Eddie

There are channel conversion charts out there so you can roadmap your
radio freqs.
The antenna will work on 10. Maybe not at optimum performance, but it
will work.

Old February 10th 07, 05:28 PM posted to rec.radio.cb
JSF JSF is offline

"john james" wrote in message
Well, I know I found charts a few years ago for this mod, but I can no
longer locate them. now I can only find the freq.s listed for the
expanded channels obtained by shorting Pin 10 of the PLL chip, and
this is not the mod i want to perform on this radio...

Eddie

There are channel conversion charts out there so you can roadmap your
radio freqs.
The antenna will work on 10. Maybe not at optimum performance, but it
will work.

For a good wide band antenna try this out.

http://www.antenex.com/index051206.htm

Old February 14th 07, 06:50 PM posted to rec.radio.cb

The antenna will work on 10. Maybe not at optimum performance, but it
will work.

I agree... the match would probably be acceptable unless you were
running more than 500 Watts.

www.telstar-electronics.com

Old February 16th 07, 03:36 AM posted to rec.radio.cb

From: (U-Know-Who)
"I AmnotGeorgeBush" wrote in message
... From:
(john james) I have an original Cobra 148GTL CB
-

There are channel conversion charts out there so you can roadmap your
radio freqs.
The antenna will work on 10. Maybe not at optimum performance, but it
will work.

I suppose if you call 5 inches too long

acceptable without a tuner, it will. In real life,

the radio will not be happy.

*

You're probably right, but I don't have a whip on any of my vehicles now
to go play with this and see what readings I can obtain but I've taken
an old mobile Galaxy up on 10 on many occasion with no any adverse
effects with either transmit or receive and I'm sure someone on 10 would
have gladly let me know if something was amiss. Only thing missing was
the cw. Oh, and I wasn't at the high end of the band or running any
power other than the radio. I still swear by those old Malaysian boards
for heartiness...4 X 4 the hell out of them. Maybe I'm just lucky.

*Posted Via Usenet.com Premium Usenet Newsgroup Services
********** SPEED ** RETENTION ** COMPLETION ** ANONYMITY
**
http://www.usenet.com