Old February 26th 08, 04:31 AM posted to rec.radio.cb

Default Uniden Pro 520XL CB issues

Okay, I just finished installing the radio in my truck and I am having
problems. Came out of a pickup where the antenna was tuned perfectly
(I checked it)

Put it in mine with a firestik 4' Antenna, New Mount, Base, Cable,
etc. Wired it with a relay controlled by the key directly to the
battery, Inline fuse. Ran the swr and tuned it to 1.2 on ch 1 and on
ch 40.

Works OK most of the time, long transmit range, good performance.
Reception is always good. However, sometimes when I press the talk
button on the mic, the "TX" light comes on, but none of the 1,2,3,4
lights come on and I don't transmit anything. Usually it will do it
2-3 times then transmit like normal.

I'm at a loss here. I might try a spare Mic I have to see if it makes
any difference.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old February 26th 08, 02:15 PM posted to rec.radio.cb

Chas wrote:
Okay, I just finished installing the radio in my truck and I am having
problems. Came out of a pickup where the antenna was tuned perfectly
(I checked it)

Put it in mine with a firestik 4' Antenna, New Mount, Base, Cable,
etc. Wired it with a relay controlled by the key directly to the
battery, Inline fuse. Ran the swr and tuned it to 1.2 on ch 1 and on
ch 40.

Works OK most of the time, long transmit range, good performance.
Reception is always good. However, sometimes when I press the talk
button on the mic, the "TX" light comes on, but none of the 1,2,3,4
lights come on and I don't transmit anything. Usually it will do it
2-3 times then transmit like normal.

I'm at a loss here. I might try a spare Mic I have to see if it makes
any difference.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I'd start checking my antenna, connections and the ground.
Old July 9th 08, 09:25 AM
Junior Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott in Baltimore View Post
Chas wrote:
[...]

I would be having a close look at the mike socket in the set, some of these sets have a structual fault I.E. the mike socket is soldered onto the internal circuit board, this board is very rigid and a bit of rough handleing causes the socket pins to break the circuit board tracks and hence .....sometimes you will have no TX/RX but the meter will still work (leds)....CURE ...repair the damaged board...cut the solder pins off short and re-connect between socket and board using fine audio wire...requires skill with a small circuitboard iron but is simple to do (this "mod" allowes the front panel to move inderpendent to the main board

MT BACK-ISSUES Robert G. Carter Broadcasting 0 June 5th 04 10:59 PM
MT BACK-ISSUES Robert G. Carter Scanner 0 June 5th 04 10:59 PM
MT BACK-ISSUES Robert G. Carter Shortwave 0 June 5th 04 10:59 PM
MT BACK-ISSUES Robert G. Carter CB 0 June 5th 04 05:56 PM
TETRA issues harrogate Scanner 0 July 2nd 03 08:08 AM