Old April 19th 21, 06:39 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated,rec.radio.amateur.misc

Default [KB6NU] How do you deal with inaccurate articles about amateur radio?

KB6NU's Ham Radio Blog

How do you deal with inaccurate articles about amateur radio?

Ive never liked the old saw, Theres no such thing as bad publicity. When a
piece is just plain wrong, it can certainly do more harm than good. To give
you an example, look at this message to the ARRL PR mailing list:

So the following article came to my attention:

Why CB Radio Is Still Popular In Some Circles

Note that the station added a statement two days later. Â*Please read it,
but dont start writing to the station. Â*
I ask you:

What would you do if you saw this article in your local area? How would you
as a PIO or PIC handle it?
What can be done to prevent such articles?

I replied:

Whenever I see these articles, I contact the reporter and try to set them
straight on the differences between the various radio services. As to what
can be done to prevent these articles from being published in the first
place, I think that the PR committee could be a little more proactive:

Include a page on the ARRL website linked from the Reporter/Media
Information page describing all the personal radio services, the
differences between them, and the role of the Amateur Radio Service in
particular.

Write a press release notifying reporters that page is now available and
distribute it as widely as possible.

Include the name and phone number of an actual person on the Reporter/Media
Information page and on other press releases. (I’ll note that the Press
Releases page is way out of date. It lists two press releases, both from
2016!)

Having said all that, Ill ask you. How do you deal with inaccurate articles
about amateur radio?

The post How do you deal with inaccurate articles about amateur radio?
appeared first on KB6NUs Ham Radio Blog.