RadioBanter

-   -   Cleaning modern plastic-bodied radios?? (https://www.radiobanter.com/swap/132522-cleaning-modern-plastic-bodied-radios.html)

[email protected] April 14th 08 01:27 AM

Cleaning modern plastic-bodied radios??

All,

I just got an incredibly dirty Panasonic RF2200. What's the best
cleaning solution for both the plastic (early 80's era) body-case and
the clear plastic dial covers? I figure warm soapy water for the case,
but the clear plastic dial covers will probably fog up if any Ammonia-
based cleaner is used on them. What has everyone used with best
results?
rgds,
Mark S.

Phil Nelson April 14th 08 01:33 AM

Cleaning modern plastic-bodied radios??

Mild soapy water followed by Novus Plastic Polish #2. Great for all types of
plastic.

Phil Nelson

[email protected] April 14th 08 02:15 AM

On Apr 13, 8:27 pm, wrote:
All,

I just got an incredibly dirty Panasonic RF2200. What's the best
cleaning solution for both the plastic (early 80's era) body-case and
the clear plastic dial covers? I figure warm soapy water for the case,
but the clear plastic dial covers will probably fog up if any Ammonia-
based cleaner is used on them. What has everyone used with best
results?
rgds,
Mark S.

I have a few 1960s-era radios with plastic cases that I was able to
nicely polish using automotive "cleaner wax," which you just might
have in your garage. It contains a fine abrasive to remove the thin,
oxidized layer of paint on your car.

You don't need much. Just place a few drops on a paper towel and rub
it on the cabinet. Then polish with a soft cloth. I've also used it
on clear plastic dials to remove scratches. It can be used to polish
brass escutcheons, too.

-Dave Drumheller, K3WQ

Jim Barnard April 14th 08 02:28 AM

Cleaning modern plastic-bodied radios??

That is what I have used for years with very satisfactory results!!!

--
WWW.TRANSISTOR-REPAIRS.COM
Jim Barnard, WA4BRX

Unrevealed Source April 14th 08 02:33 AM

Cleaning modern plastic-bodied radios??

Like others have and will tell you, Novus #2.

If you have scratches of any significance, that's another story. For that
you need MicroMesh. Another wonder-product; Google it.

Jeff

J.L.Hemmer April 14th 08 03:29 AM

Cleaning modern plastic-bodied radios??

I've had good results with using a Simoniz product--"Scratch Out". It
seem very similar to Novus.

Bob

JB[_3_] April 22nd 08 12:23 AM

Cleaning modern plastic-bodied radios??

Yes, Novus 1 (cleans to prevent further scratching) then 2 followed by 1
again for dial windows. Use with unscented Swiffer cloths

3 is for deeper scratches but it usually means I need to sand out 800 on
down to 2000 grit first. Cleanliness is of the essence or you will put more
scratches in. Pita but if it's for show...

http://techinfo.awardspace.com