Old November 29th 03, 10:48 PM
Bob

Default Anti-sieze?

I need some of this stuff for antenna assembly. Anyone know where to get
it?

For those who don't know what it is, it's a paste you get in a little can or
tube that you smear on mating metals to avoid having them stick together
after exposure to the elements. It's also used for soldering irons to make
replacing tips easier.

I think it's molybdenum disulfide.

73, Bob

Old November 29th 03, 10:53 PM

"Bob" wrote in message
I need some of this stuff for antenna assembly. Anyone know where to get
it?

For those who don't know what it is, it's a paste you get in a little can

or
tube that you smear on mating metals to avoid having them stick together
after exposure to the elements. It's also used for soldering irons to

make
replacing tips easier.

I think it's molybdenum disulfide.

73, Bob

Bob:

http://bosunsupplies.com carries it (well,a t least one version thereof).
Bosun Supply is an excellent source for all sorts of stuff useful in ham
radio. Besides, when I order from them, I can pretend I own a 40 ft sloop.
grin

73

Paul AB0SI

Old November 30th 03, 12:36 AM
Richard Miles

Any electrical parts place sells it. It is commonly known as Penetrox
or inhibitor paste. It is primarily used for aluminum wire contact with
terminal strips.

Dick K7RNZ

Old November 30th 03, 12:43 AM
Bob

Two electronics stores and Home Depot didn't have it.

I finally found some at my auto parts store. I was told that Ham Radio
Outlet had it for $8 but I only paid $3 for a decent sized tube of the
stuff.

Thanks for your help, guys.

73, Bob

Old November 30th 03, 12:53 AM
Noon-Air

The stuff I use is from Lawson...its simular to CopperCoat, but its 80%
copper and works great. it takes very little...*maybe* a tablespoon full to
do a 4 element tribander, but after 4 or 5 years in a really bad salt
environment(Treasure Island in San Francisco bay), everything that had been
put together with this stuff came right apart when the screws were taken
out...anything that didn't get the antiseize was junk.
The stuff is expensive but worth every penny.

Old November 30th 03, 02:37 AM
Noon-Air

Here is a link to the Lawson stuff

http://webapp1.lawsonproducts.com/we...?itemNum=59933

I have been using the same can for 20 years...a little bit goes a very long
way....It works great for all kinds of other stuff too...lug nuts, exhaust
manifold bolts, aluminium wire in breaker boxes etc.....

Old November 30th 03, 01:13 AM
Clif Holland

Automotive anti-seize is not the same as electrical.
Different purpose.
The automotive is to keep steel bolts from binding in aluminum, magnesium,
etc.
The electrical is to keep the coated materials from oxidizing while at the
same time ensuring good electrical contact.

--
Clif Holland, KA5IPF
AVVid

1-800-214-5779
972-870-0630 (local)

Old November 30th 03, 02:39 PM
Topaz305RK

May be for a different purpose but have used it on antennas for along time
and have never had any problems with it. Seems to conduct just fine and will
certainly let things come apart easy. Last use was on a TH6DXX, no ill side
effects, still up and working without any problems. Antenna analyzer shows
all is well.

Old November 30th 03, 02:38 AM
garigue

"Bob" wrote in message
I need some of this stuff for antenna assembly. Anyone know where to get
it?

For those who don't know what it is, it's a paste you get in a little can

or
tube that you smear on mating metals to avoid having them stick together
after exposure to the elements. It's also used for soldering irons to

make
replacing tips easier.

I think it's molybdenum disulfide.

73, Bob

Hi Bob ... I applied Permatex anti-seize to the bolts on my tower and the
boom-mast-rotor hardware. The whole works came apart smoothly after being
up for 20 plus years. The material I used between the Al junctions on the
TH-6 was supplied by Hy-Gain in a little metal pill box. Likewise the stuff
worked great. SS hardware used on the antenna.

God Bless 73 Tom Popovic KI3R Belle Vernon Pa

Old November 30th 03, 02:58 PM
Frank Dinger

Hi Bob ... I applied Permatex anti-seize to the bolts on my tower and the
boom-mast-rotor hardware. The whole works came apart smoothly after being
up for 20 plus years. The material I used between the Al junctions on the
TH-6 was supplied by Hy-Gain in a little metal pill box. Likewise the

stuff
worked great. SS hardware used on the antenna.

In the UK a very good stuff for outer metal protection is Finigan Waxoyl,
available from many autoparts - and hardware shops.
Living in a windswept area near seawater ,hence with a lot of salt spray ,I
use it on all bolts and nuts and galvanised metal clamps etc.
Of course it is NOT suitable to make galvanic contact between (dissimilar)
metal parts.

Frank GM0CSZ / KN6WH