RadioBanter

-   -   eBay - what's going on? (https://www.radiobanter.com/swap/54218-ebay-whats-going.html)

Eric Behr January 26th 04 05:12 AM

eBay - what's going on?

Not quite on topic, but I just ran across an eBay listing that seems
to be censored here (QTH is Illinois USA):

"Unfortunately, access to this particular category or item has been
blocked due to legal restrictions in your home country. Based on our
discussions with concerned government agencies and eBay community
members, we have taken these steps to reduce the chance of inappropriate
items being displayed."

This is what I see under
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ategory=46 75
What the h***?

The description makes me doubt that someone is trying to sell a nuke
warhead or a James Bond laser watch. Is eBay now ridiculously bending
over to please the homeland security folks? Can anyone anywhere access
this ad? Thanks.

--
Eric Behr | NIU Mathematical Sciences | (815) 753 6727

Ken Bessler January 26th 04 05:27 AM

"Eric Behr" wrote in message
Not quite on topic, but I just ran across an eBay listing that seems
to be censored here (QTH is Illinois USA):

"Unfortunately, access to this particular category or item has been
blocked due to legal restrictions in your home country. Based on our
discussions with concerned government agencies and eBay community
members, we have taken these steps to reduce the chance of inappropriate
items being displayed."

This is what I see under

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ategory=46 75
What the h***?

The description makes me doubt that someone is trying to sell a nuke
warhead or a James Bond laser watch. Is eBay now ridiculously bending
over to please the homeland security folks? Can anyone anywhere access
this ad? Thanks.

Saw it just fine here in Denver.....

Ken KG0WX

Andy Cogswell January 26th 04 05:34 AM

It came up for me, no problem.

Eric Behr January 26th 04 05:54 AM

In article ,
Ken Bessler wrote:

"Eric Behr" wrote in message
Not quite on topic, but I just ran across an eBay listing that seems
to be censored here (QTH is Illinois USA):
[...]

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ategory=46 75
What the h***?

Saw it just fine here in Denver.....

Ken KG0WX

Really bizarre. I just saved the source and put it up on my
server:
http://www.math.niu.edu/~behr/weirdebay.html
That's exactly what I get.

Maybe it's an eBay glitch caused by the fact that I run Safari,
and with JavaScript disabled, but the end result is disturbing
no matter what the reason is. I'm not making this up. I've since
found another listing, also with WWII equipment, which gives me
the same page.

Thanks guys. 73, KC9DUX

gundoc January 26th 04 05:54 AM

That is a great advertising ploy. tell everyone you can not see the auction
because of some restriction and everyone who reads your post will try to
look and see the auction. I will remember it.
gundoc

Eric Behr January 26th 04 06:09 AM

In article LY1Rb.153672$na.262921@attbi_s04,
gundoc wrote:
That is a great advertising ploy. tell everyone you can not see the auction
because of some restriction and everyone who reads your post will try to
look and see the auction. I will remember it.

We're being a bit paranoid today, aren't we? With all the garbage
that's going on, I'm not surprised. But please don't accuse people
without any factual basis. I do get the strange page from eBay. It
is not my auction, I just stumbled on it looking for a power supply.

Hmmm, on second thought, maybe I should patent that...

73 - KC9DUX.

Jmap702 January 26th 04 02:11 PM

Look At This http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/pages/S...?itemNo=264863

Harry January 26th 04 02:56 PM