RadioBanter

-   -   WTB: carbon comp resistors 1/2watt (https://www.radiobanter.com/swap/61559-wtb-carbon-comp-resistors-1-2watt.html)

David Austerman December 7th 04 04:12 AM

WTB: carbon comp resistors 1/2watt

Hi, looking for some misc carbon comp resistors in 1/2watt size. Like to
find misc values (e.g. 1meg, 220k, whatever) to keep for my
amp/boatanchor projects. if you have any extras laying around whether 20
or 100 or whatever qty let me know at . thanks, dave,
n5wnm, okla city, ok

Rich December 7th 04 04:33 AM

http://www.mouser.com/

news:d017f0b4a4c7a5593add915b9f5a986f.32924@mygate .mailgate.org...

KØHB December 7th 04 05:38 AM

"David Austerman" wrote

Hi, looking for some misc carbon comp resistors in 1/2watt size. Like to
find misc values (e.g. 1meg, 220k, whatever) to keep for my
amp/boatanchor projects. if you have any extras laying around whether 20
or 100 or whatever qty let me know at . thanks, dave,
n5wnm, okla city, ok

I've been asked to inventory and sell off the ham shack of an SK ham who was
also an avid homebrewer. One of the items I noticed in my first visit were two
or three Ohmite cabinets with many drawers each of resistors organized in
ascending value, starting down around 10 ohms and going up in standard steps up
into the megohm range (didn't notice if they are half or quarter-watt). In the
few drawers that I opened I didn't notice any vacant compartments. After the
holidays (the widow is spending the holidays with out-of-state kids/grandkids)
I'll be going back and will photo the stuff and put it on eBay.

73, de Hans, K0HB

John Goller, k9uwa December 7th 04 12:45 PM

In article . net,
says...

or three Ohmite cabinets with many drawers each of resistors organized in
ascending value, starting down around 10 ohms and going up in standard steps
73, de Hans, K0HB

Hans the Ohmite Cabinets are worth probably more than the resistors... and
the guys will pay a little more for them if they are full ...

resistors in quantity are maybe 2 cents each.

John k9uwa

Uncle Peter December 7th 04 11:12 PM

"John Goller, k9uwa" wrote in message

resistors in quantity are maybe 2 cents each.

John k9uwa

I wish I could find carbon comps (decent values) for two cents
each! Those days are long gone around these parts.

Pete

John Goller, k9uwa December 8th 04 02:58 AM

In article ENqtd.176750$cJ3.163057@fed1read06,
PAM says...

I wish I could find carbon comps (decent values) for two cents
each! Those days are long gone around these parts.

Pete

www.mouser.com

looks like a lot of Carbon Film ones are in the 3 cents each price
range to me..... those are 100 lot prices.... so its 3 buks a 100

They are a Dime Each if you wanna onze twoze them ..... so then its
3 buks for 30 of them......

John k9uwa

william_b_noble December 8th 04 04:09 AM

I have the following pkgs of resistors, sealed, all allen bradley: 50 per
pack, 5%, $5 per bag

330 ohms, jan rcro7g331js 5 bags $5 per bag
1000 ohms RC07GF102J 3 bags
2200 ohms, JAN RCR07G222JS 3 bags

bag with about 25 new resisors of various types, some precision (1%), some
carbon up to 1 watt $3

bag of metal film resistors, mostly 1%, some may be better than that, $3

shipping will be no more than $4 now matter what you get, could be less
Bill

John Goller, k9uwa December 8th 04 02:31 PM

In article Nnutd.176902$cJ3.62398@fed1read06,
PAM says...

What kind of package? Are they similar to the Allen Bradley
cylinder packaging? Or, do they have a more "modern" look to
them? I generally look for the NOS Allen Bradley resistors when
I can find them.

Pete

No Pete... they are the newer packaging style... re carbon resistors
see comments from the other Bill Turner W6WRT regarding them.... I agree
with him.... long term they aren't as stable as the newer metal film
resistors
John k9uwa

BH December 8th 04 05:02 PM

John Goller, k9uwa wrote:

In article Nnutd.176902$cJ3.62398@fed1read06,
PAM says...

What kind of package? Are they similar to the Allen Bradley
cylinder packaging? Or, do they have a more "modern" look to
them? I generally look for the NOS Allen Bradley resistors when
I can find them.

Pete

No Pete... they are the newer packaging style... re carbon resistors
see comments from the other Bill Turner W6WRT regarding them.... I agree
with him.... long term they aren't as stable as the newer metal film
resistors
John k9uwa

How stable do they need to be in an old radio where components values
can vary, sometimes by quite a bit, and the radio will still perform
just fine?

Uncle Peter December 8th 04 09:42 PM

"Bill Turner" wrote in message
On Wed, 08 Dec 2004 10:02:26 -0700, BH
wrote:

How stable do they need to be in an old radio where components values
can vary, sometimes by quite a bit, and the radio will still perform
just fine?

That depends partly on the circuit design and partly on how much any
other components in that circuit may have drifted. Without that
information, the question can not be answered.

--
Bill W6WRT

The question is pretty much answered by the fact that most antique
radios used 20% carbon resistors. Many of these original resistors
have aged upwards of 100% over time, and the radios often still
run "just fine". The manufacturers saw no need to use high tolorence
components, and most of the circuits are self biasing and self
compensating to some degree.

Vintage radios aren't rocket science. Good NOS carbon
comps from reputable manufacturers are fine.

Pete k1zjh