RadioBanter

-   -   UHF antenna question (https://www.radiobanter.com/swap/62131-uhf-antenna-question.html)

Richard January 8th 05 07:04 PM

UHF antenna question

I need help with a project.

I have a tower site where there is a existing UHF antenna 200 Ft on hard
line mounted and existing. (460.0 mhz)

Is there a device to retune the antenna to GMRS to go on the back of the
radio to retune the load?

Would a combiner help?

Caveat Lector January 8th 05 07:47 PM

You will get better results and probable answers at

rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Since GMRS frequencies are around 462 MHz -- see URL:
http://www.g-m-r-s.org/frequencies.htm

I would start by measuring the SWR and see how far off things are.

There are several ways to match the transmitter to the load

UHF Tuners, matching networks etc

Combiners allow the use of different bands - so don't think that will help

Again try rec.radio.amateur.antenna
The experts are there.

--
Caveat Lector

Cencom January 8th 05 08:12 PM

Richard wrote:
I need help with a project.

I have a tower site where there is a existing UHF antenna 200 Ft on hard
line mounted and existing. (460.0 mhz)

Is there a device to retune the antenna to GMRS to go on the back of the
radio to retune the load?

Would a combiner help?

I don't think a combiner would help but a tuner or matching network may.
I believe MFJ would have something to handle that for you. Check SWR
first, you may not need anything. You are within 2.5 MHz of the GMRS
receive frequency and as long as the antenna was used for a 460/465
split it should not be a big deal. GMRS is 462.6/467.6 split approximately.

Rich Osman January 8th 05 11:07 PM

Richard wrote:

I need help with a project.

I have a tower site where there is a existing UHF antenna 200 Ft on hard
line mounted and existing. (460.0 mhz)

Is there a device to retune the antenna to GMRS to go on the back of the
radio to retune the load?

Would a combiner help?

It's unlikely this will be an issue. Most commercial antennas in this
range are cut +/- 10 MHz. Depending on the size of the hardline, you
may not be able to measure any reflected power. I'd just put it and
measure the return loss and expect no problems.

--
http://www.rich.osman.com
Rich Osman; POB 93167; Southlake, TX 76092 (Near DFW Airport) ARS: N1OZ

If you receive something that says "Send this to everyone you know,"
PLEASE pretend you don't know me.