RadioBanter

-   -   Can anyone ID this Motorola.Cisco Unit? (https://www.radiobanter.com/swap/64885-can-anyone-id-motorola-cisco-unit.html)

[email protected] February 18th 05 11:16 PM

Can anyone ID this Motorola.Cisco Unit?

http://www.asburydevelopment.com/ebay/motortoner1.jpg
http://www.asburydevelopment.com/ebay/motortoner2.jpg

On the label is....

Cisco
Motorola inc.
FCC xmtr data CC4330
MODEL no. P1316A
Freq 458.275

It transmits a single tone for a length of time after the on/off switch
is depressed and then transmits voice.

I've never seen one until now and don't know what it could have been
used for except maybe some kind of local paging unit?

Any ideas?

Thanks,
RoD

dt February 18th 05 11:44 PM

Cisco transmitters were made at the Motorola Ft. lauderdale plant
during the late 70's-eraly 80's. They were an "SP" product, cost
something around $900, and were in compeititon with KEL and others.
They were used as a body mic for surveillance purposes and were
usually sold with a suitcase kit which contained an Alert Monitor
receiver and a tape recorder.
dt

[email protected] February 19th 05 12:05 AM

Thanks dt. I had been searching for awhile but not been able to find
any information on this. Interesting knowing it was surveillance
equipment. Are there any websites you know of that have more info on
this older equipment?

Thanks,
RoD

Steve Uhrig February 19th 05 02:00 AM

On 18 Feb 2005 16:05:58 -0800, wrote:

Thanks dt. I had been searching for awhile but not been able to find
any information on this. Interesting knowing it was surveillance
equipment. Are there any websites you know of that have more info on
this older equipment?

The piece could be used as a body worn agent alarm for officer in
trouble, in prisons or mental institutions for example, or as a
hardwired alarm for whatever. They frequently were used by the post
office to let them know when a certain mailbox was opened, on drug
stings. Sometimes they were wired to transmit when a trip wire was
broken, like when a package was opened.

What you have is a more recent version of what is described he

http://www.batnet.com/mfwright/bodyalarms.html

Regards ... Steve WA3SWS

************************************************** *******************
Steve Uhrig, SWS Security, Maryland (USA)
Mfrs of electronic surveillance equip
website http://www.swssec.com
tel +1+410-879-4035, fax +1+410-836-1190
"In God we trust, all others we monitor"
************************************************** *******************

me February 19th 05 03:46 AM

On 18 Feb 2005 16:05:58 -0800, wrote:

Thanks dt. I had been searching for awhile but not been able to find
any information on this. Interesting knowing it was surveillance
equipment. Are there any websites you know of that have more info on
this older equipment?

Thanks,
RoD

Looks like WA3SWS already sent you the best source for this. Only
other thing I was gonna recommend was BATLABS, but the Cisco was so
relatively rare that I doubt it'd show up as anything other than as a
curiosity. If you're really desperate to repair/restore the one you
have, I'd suggest trying to find an "old time" MSS, one that never
throws anything out, and is probably near a larger metro area, as the
fancy stuff of the day did not often show up in the rural areas. Also,
if you can locate a guy named Bill Hackett (I don't think he's a ham),
he managed the SP shop in Ft. Lauderdale up until around 1990, when he
left /\/\ and formed his own company to make custom cables. Ya never
know, there just might still be some old timers working down in
Florida who kept manuals, catalog sheets, etc.! GL & 73,
DT