RadioBanter

-   -   Google gives $100M to BPL (https://www.radiobanter.com/swap/74227-google-gives-%24100m-bpl.html)

Hamguy July 8th 05 06:19 PM

Google gives $100M to BPL

See, Google is NOT your friend after all!
http://www.hamwave.com/cgi-bin/index...iewnews&id=777

Bill Turner July 12th 05 01:58 AM

Hamguy wrote:

See, Google is NOT your friend after all!
http://www.hamwave.com/cgi-bin/index...iewnews&id=777

Quoting from the article: "Broadband transmissions over electric power
lines were a major hurdle for the industry, because they are not
shielded to prevent radio interference in the same way as telephone and
cable lines are."

Since when are telephone lines shielded?

--
Bill, W6WRT

Bob July 12th 05 12:45 PM

Bill Turner wrote:
Hamguy wrote:

See, Google is NOT your friend after all!
http://www.hamwave.com/cgi-bin/index...iewnews&id=777

Quoting from the article: "Broadband transmissions over electric power
lines were a major hurdle for the industry, because they are not
shielded to prevent radio interference in the same way as telephone and
cable lines are."

Since when are telephone lines shielded?

A lot of the older stuff was shielded in lead. Not for RF purposes but
for waterproofing. Even though the article really did get that point
wrong, phone lines are twisted, and as such don't radiate well. All that
aside, BPL is still a dirty technology pushed through and around
existing rules in the interest of big business.

It's like these new goofy plastic PC cases. talk about raising the
ambient noise floor! It's as if designers have forgotten the rule about
preventing interference. I'd have to say tens/hundreds of thousands of
unshielded PCs (and other high frequency radiating appliances) will
eventually present as much a problem as anything else.

ZoobsR GoodForYerToobs July 15th 05 04:14 PM

On 12 Jul 2005 00:58:55 GMT, "Bill Turner"
wrote:

Since when are telephone lines shielded?

BUT, since WHEN did they RADIATE crap like BPL does from 2 to 80
MHz???

The point is not the fact that they are "shelded" but that they don't
need to be in order to keep their signals out of our radios!

Brenda Ann July 15th 05 11:14 PM

wrote:

Since when are telephone lines shielded?

BUT, since WHEN did they RADIATE crap like BPL does from 2 to 80
MHz???

The point is not the fact that they are "shelded" but that they don't
need to be in order to keep their signals out of our radios!

Besides, telephone lines, up until the drop to your home/building, telephone
lines are clusters of twisted pairs, which minimizes RF egress/ingress.
Also, I believe those big twisted pair cables are shielded.