RadioBanter

-   -   ARS License Numbers (https://www.radiobanter.com/swap/94848-re-ars-license-numbers.html)

Roger May 26th 06 06:33 AM

ARS License Numbers

On Wed, 24 May 2006 20:29:28 -0500, Tom Ring
wrote:

Roger wrote:

There are few people who can type that fast. However on CW you type
your response while listening to the other station so the transmission
speed can be well above your typing speed.

I can count on the fingers of one hand the number of people I've met
in school and industry who could even approach that 100 wpm.
The old electric portables used to jam the keys at much over 60 while
the "selectric" could go a fair amount faster. When in college my
daughter wore out one of those and she could out type it.

My father was NY state champ at over 100 wpm on a manual typewriter in
about 1940. I always figured Bucky the milkman must have been my real
father, since I was at 15 wpm before typing class, and 12 after a year
of it. I still type with 4 fingers, and have to use my eyes to figure
where they should go. And I have typed for a living for the last 30+
years. :)

If I have to look at the keyboard I'm in trouble. My fingers know
where the keys are, but I don't. :-)) If I'm on the telephone and
taking notes it'd be faster to use a pencil. OTOH I can at least read
my typing.

I was net control for a weather watch net with tornado warnings out
all around us (Lower Michigan). When I did the summary after the net I
realized I need a head set with VOX built in so I can have both hands
free.

When I was a kid I bought a typing book, borrowed an old mechanical
type writer and taught myself. It really didn't take all that long.
I'd guess It took about the same time to get to 60 WPM on a mill as it
did 20 on a key.

My wife remarked that having worked in clerical and administration for
the state she knew a number of people who could type 100 WPM. I asked
if that was mistake free as corrections take time. It turned out they
were considerably slower when mistakes were taken into account. OTOH
when I was a sysadmin for a large corporation one of the system admins
could type so fast the keyboard buzzed. You could watch the
characters flow across the screen and in both directions. If he made
a mistake it might take him two words to recognize it, go back and
retype. I think he still was making over 100 WPM.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com

tom
K0TAR

Geoffrey S. Mendelson May 26th 06 08:21 AM

ARS License Numbers

Roger wrote:
I can count on the fingers of one hand the number of people I've met
in school and industry who could even approach that 100 wpm.
The old electric portables used to jam the keys at much over 60 while
the "selectric" could go a fair amount faster. When in college my
daughter wore out one of those and she could out type it.

My wife and son can both type, error free at about that rate. I took
a typing course in the summer when I was in high school and passed the
10wpm error free test. I think in my case it was 10wpm and at least one
word error free :-)

My first wife's sister was able to type faster than an IBM selectric typewriter
(165wpm) error free. She won awards and contests for it.

Geoff.
IL Voice: (07)-7424-1667 IL Fax: 972-2-648-1443 U.S. Voice: 1-215-821-1838
Visit my 'blog at
http://geoffstechno.livejournal.com/

Roger May 26th 06 03:13 PM

ARS License Numbers

Roger is posting again. Will the same person who told him to
stop posting last time kindly tell him to stop posting again.

Lloyd May 26th 06 03:17 PM

ARS License Numbers

Stop posting to our group Roger.

Steven May 26th 06 04:19 PM

ARS License Numbers

We really mean it this time.

an old freind May 26th 06 04:45 PM

ARS License Numbers

Steven wrote:
We really mean it this time.

good luck

Steven May 26th 06 04:46 PM

ARS License Numbers

I'm not the one who needs luck.

an old freind May 26th 06 04:51 PM

ARS License Numbers

Steven wrote:
I'm not the one who needs luck.

yes you are not flaming you but Roger has resited years of concerted
attacks by those he has abused in RRAP and other places
I wish you luck and most of all success

Steven May 26th 06 05:15 PM

ARS License Numbers

Since I'm only here via crossposting, and not in your groups but for
the surrepitious route, I will survive. The other tomcat in my
neighborhood doesn't look like he will though...

[email protected] June 6th 06 07:47 AM

ARS License Numbers

Roger wrote:
On 21 May 2006 23:36:10 -0700, wrote:

dang ugly... Slopsville. The keyboards could kick back and type
about any CW speed with perfect sending. A decent typist can go
over 100 wpm+.

There are few people who can type that fast. However on CW you type
your response while listening to the other station so the transmission
speed can be well above your typing speed.

Heck, my mother who was a legal secretary could go well over
100 wpm. On the old selectrics, I think she probably did 120-140+ wpm.
She made very few mistakes too. About like a typing machine..
I don't like responding while the other person is sending. At 55-60
wpm,
it could lead to some mistakes in copy.. :/ I do that on RTTY, PSK31,
but not CW. When I worked faster CW, I listened mostly in my head,
and only wrote down the important stuff like call, name.. But I sent
normally using a bencher paddle. I don't really use it like a squeeze
keyer either. More like an automatic bug. I side slap and rarely use
the squeeze method to make letters. I'm still using the same bencher
I have had for at least 20+ years.. Guess I'm getting my moneys worth..
I have a homebrew keyer that was built at the same time, and it still
works too.. :)
MK