RadioBanter

-   -   A question for nickle Generals and Extras. Would you renew your license? (https://www.radiobanter.com/swap/97585-question-nickle-generals-extras-would-you-renew-your-license.html)

an old friend July 10th 06 09:21 PM

Why does slow code hate the ARS I asuume it is becuase one of his other names is hey stupid

wrote:
an old freind wrote:
: your proposal would kill off the ARS n 10 years or less
Why would his proposal kill off the hobby?

by eleimating half the ham currently licensed in one year
We've all passed these
tests once already, so why not again?

no you did not pass these test and many of you could not very likely
Or, are you saying that
YOU could not pass the various elements again?

I having never been able to passa code test am one of the folks that SC
wants to throw off the bands with in a year

--
73 Chris Cox, N0UK, G4JEC

Come and join us here in Bloomington, Minnesota, home of the Mall of
America, July 27 & 28, 2006 for the 40th annual Central States VHF
Society Conference which will be hosted once again by the NLRS.

Slow Code July 10th 06 10:37 PM

A question for nickle Generals and Extras. Would you renew your license?

(Dave Platt) wrote in
:

In article . net,
Slow Code wrote:

They think you shouldn't have
to be proficient at anything to have a ham radio license.

Nonsense. That's an illogical conclusion on your part, and _not_
something which has been stated, or can reasonably be inferred from
the postings that I have seen in these threads.

OK then, Since we all want to be proficient, how about this:

snip exactly the same proposals SC has made before, concerning which
he's stated that "99%" of the people on USENET "hate", and which
contain positions even more radical than those which have already been
rejected by the FCC.

Trolling again, SC? Pity. If you were actually willing to engage in
a productive discussion you might actually do some good, but I don't
see any evidence of that.

PLONK.

I guess he don't want to be proficient either. Happy appliance operating.

SC

Slow Code July 10th 06 10:38 PM

Why does slow code hate the ARS I asuume it is becuase one of his other names is hey stupid

"an old friend" wrote in
ups.com:

I having never been able to passa code test am one of the folks that SC
wants to throw off the bands with in a year

Markie,

I'm not throwing you off the bands. You're throwing yourself off. You
have to pass a test for the privileges. If you can't pass the test like
Techs used to have to pass, you get no privileges to operate and have to
You earn privileges, licenses aren't totally free handouts from the FCC
yet, as much as you people wish they were. No one is throwing you off the
bands. You being a lazy ass that can't spell and don't want to learn gets
you thrown off the bands. The no-code license was a bad idea to begin
with anyway. You couldn't have got licensed under the old system. You
and Sal M. Onella would still be talking yourselves on CB and ****ing off
truck drivers.

sc

an old friend July 10th 06 10:52 PM

Why does slow code hate the ARS I asuume it is becuase one of his other names is hey stupid

Slow Code wrote:
"an old friend" wrote in
ups.com:

I having never been able to passa code test am one of the folks that SC
wants to throw off the bands with in a year

Markie,

I'm not throwing you off the bands.

no you are merely proposing to
You're throwing yourself off.

nope you are propsing to have the FCC do so
You
have to pass a test for the privileges. If you can't pass the test like
Techs used to have to pass, you get no privileges to operate and have to
You earn privileges, licenses aren't totally free handouts from the FCC
yet, as much as you people wish they were.

I already earned those prevlidges you want to propose that they be
revoked for no valid reason

fortunately the FCC will NEVER go for it
No one is throwing you off the
bands. You being a lazy ass that can't spell and don't want to learn gets
you thrown off the bands.

now you are just lying
The no-code license was a bad idea to begin
with anyway.

perhaps it was (I don't agree it was but I will grant it might be)
but it is 20 years too late for that discussion
You couldn't have got licensed under the old system.

Acualy I could have gotten one

by simply accepting the offer of those testing to lie and say that I
tooked the recieve I passed one and tranmtiing test I took a month
later and passed (while failig n that day ) and claim they taken and
passed the same day

I certainly could gotten a license I was merely too honest
You
and Sal M. Onella would still be talking yourselves on CB and ****ing off
truck drivers.

I still use CB when it serves my needs as I also use mMURS and FRS when
they suit

but you clearly hate what the ARS is

and you would enact a sytem that would kill they ARS as it is if you
had the power

that makes you one real sicko

sc

Al Klein July 11th 06 02:27 AM

Why does slow code hate the ARS I asuume it is becuase one of his other names is hey stupid

On 10 Jul 2006 14:52:20 -0700, "an old friend"
wrote:

Slow Code wrote:

You
have to pass a test for the privileges. If you can't pass the test like
Techs used to have to pass, you get no privileges to operate and have to
You earn privileges, licenses aren't totally free handouts from the FCC
yet, as much as you people wish they were.

I already earned those prevlidges

Earned? By what? Filling out an application? Memorizing enough
answers to just pass the written exam?

The no-code license was a bad idea to begin
with anyway.

perhaps it was (I don't agree it was but I will grant it might be)
but it is 20 years too late for that discussion

It's never too late to correct a mistake.

You couldn't have got licensed under the old system.

Acualy I could have gotten one

It was you who said, "I having never been able to passa code test", so
you couldn't have.

by simply accepting the offer of those testing to lie and say that I
tooked the recieve I passed one and tranmtiing test I took a month
later and passed (while failig n that day ) and claim they taken and
passed the same day

That's not passing, that's cheating. If you're old enough to go to
school you're old enough to know the difference.

but you clearly hate what the ARS is

If he hated it he wouldn't care what it's become. He cares because he
DOESN'T hate it.

and you would enact a sytem that would kill they ARS as it is if you
had the power

There were plenty of hams when 13 wpm was the entry level. A 5 wpm
code test and a *real* written test wouldn't kill it, it would just
separate those who are willing to do what it takes to be hams from
those who just want the license without the work.

an old friend July 11th 06 02:48 AM

wrote:

Slow Code wrote:

You
have to pass a test for the privileges. If you can't pass the test like
Techs used to have to pass, you get no privileges to operate and have to
You earn privileges, licenses aren't totally free handouts from the FCC
yet, as much as you people wish they were.

I already earned those prevlidges

Earned? By what? Filling out an application? Memorizing enough
answers to just pass the written exam?

exactly the same way you did by passing the tests required at the time

The no-code license was a bad idea to begin
with anyway.

perhaps it was (I don't agree it was but I will grant it might be)
but it is 20 years too late for that discussion

It's never too late to correct a mistake.

if it were a mistake the only bigger mistake would be to elimate half
of the curent numbers of licensees

but in any case the FCC will never take my prevledges thay have made
that clear accordingly you need to learn to deal with what is instaned
of trying to overturn history

You couldn't have got licensed under the old system.

Acualy I could have gotten one

It was you who said, "I having never been able to passa code test", so
you couldn't have.

you spoke too soon
by simply accepting the offer of those testing to lie and say that I
tooked the recieve I passed one and tranmtiing test I took a month
later and passed (while failig n that day ) and claim they taken and
passed the same day

That's not passing, that's cheating. If you're old enough to go to
school you're old enough to know the difference.

so it is cheating it still is obtaining a license

but you clearly hate what the ARS is

If he hated it he wouldn't care what it's become.

he hates the ARS today his manner makes that plain
He cares because he
DOESN'T hate it.

no he thinks or igmagine he can hijack it

and you would enact a sytem that would kill they ARS as it is if you
had the power

There were plenty of hams when 13 wpm was the entry level. A 5 wpm
code test and a *real* written test wouldn't kill it, it would just
separate those who are willing to do what it takes to be hams from
those who just want the license without the work.

maybe nut the current entry rates sugest otherwise and He does not
propose 5wpm and writeen test he prososes 13 wpm and a total lack of an
effective entry class and elimiating half the current licees and likely
a lot more than that

and any "paln" that involves dumping 300,000 hams right of the bat is
pretty going to finish off the ARS

Al Klein July 11th 06 03:23 AM

Why does slow code hate the ARS I asuume it is becuase one of his other names is hey stupid

wrote:

I already earned those prevlidges

Earned? By what? Filling out an application? Memorizing enough
answers to just pass the written exam?

exactly the same way you did by passing the tests required at the time

There's a difference between earning and being able to get with no
effort.

The no-code license was a bad idea to begin
with anyway.

perhaps it was (I don't agree it was but I will grant it might be)
but it is 20 years too late for that discussion

It's never too late to correct a mistake.

if it were a mistake the only bigger mistake would be to elimate half
of the curent numbers of licensees

That you have an opinion doesn't make the opinion something that
should be government policy. Who do you think you are, Bush? (Oh,
forget that - his opinion isn't worth as much as yours.)

but in any case the FCC will never take my prevledges thay have made
that clear

Right - the government NEVER changes anything. Are you really that
naive?

accordingly you need to learn to deal with what is instaned
of trying to overturn history

I have nothing to deal with - I'm licensed, and could keep my license
if they made 20 wpm, or digital mode testing, a yearly requirement.
The biggest problem would be freeing up a day to get to wherever the
test was being given.

Acualy I could have gotten one

It was you who said, "I having never been able to passa code test", so
you couldn't have.

you spoke too soon

No, you could have stolen a license - you couldn't have been licensed.
There's a difference. Robbing a bank isn't earning a salary.

That's not passing, that's cheating. If you're old enough to go to
school you're old enough to know the difference.

so it is cheating it still is obtaining a license

That's about what it's come to these days, isn't it? We can't hurt
people's feelings by telling them that they're just not qualified to
do what they want to do. The kid fails all his tests and never turns
in homework? Hey, he's still a high school graduate. Let his boss
suffer.

For many years, my CCNY degree was worthless, because anyone could get
one. Whether they could pass the tests, or not even sign their name,
mad no difference. That little escapade has changed. Maybe some day
a ham ticket will mean something again too. Right now all it means is
that you took the time to apply for it.

but you clearly hate what the ARS is

If he hated it he wouldn't care what it's become.

he hates the ARS today his manner makes that plain

He cares because he
DOESN'T hate it.

no he thinks or igmagine he can hijack it

It's BEEN hijacked - he's trying to get it back.

and you would enact a sytem that would kill they ARS as it is if you
had the power

There were plenty of hams when 13 wpm was the entry level. A 5 wpm
code test and a *real* written test wouldn't kill it, it would just
separate those who are willing to do what it takes to be hams from
those who just want the license without the work.

maybe nut the current entry rates sugest otherwise

Correlation isn't cause. Who needs ham radio with cell phones and the
internet? (I spent a lot of my ham effort maintaining an HT so that I
had communications when I was out and about. A cell phone's so much
easier.)

and He does not
propose 5wpm and writeen test he prososes 13 wpm and a total lack of an
effective entry class and elimiating half the current licees and likely
a lot more than that

Oh, you mean the way it used to be, when there were plenty of hams.

and any "paln" that involves dumping 300,000 hams right of the bat is
pretty going to finish off the ARS

Seems to me we had a pretty good ARS when we only has 100,000 hams. If
dumping 300,000 means losing half, it means having 3 times the number
we used to have. How is tripling "finishing off"?

an old friend July 11th 06 03:42 AM

wrote:

I already earned those prevlidges

Earned? By what? Filling out an application? Memorizing enough
answers to just pass the written exam?

exactly the same way you did by passing the tests required at the time

There's a difference between earning and being able to get with no
effort.

I spent plenty of effort overthe years

The no-code license was a bad idea to begin
with anyway.

perhaps it was (I don't agree it was but I will grant it might be)
but it is 20 years too late for that discussion

It's never too late to correct a mistake.

if it were a mistake the only bigger mistake would be to elimate half
of the curent numbers of licensees

That you have an opinion doesn't make the opinion something that
should be government policy.

sure thing you do the same
Who do you think you are, Bush? (Oh,
forget that - his opinion isn't worth as much as yours.)

never said d thtat either

but in any case the FCC will never take my prevledges thay have made
that clear

Right - the government NEVER changes anything. Are you really that
naive?

never no not soon yes

accordingly you need to learn to deal with what is instaned
of trying to overturn history

I have nothing to deal with - I'm licensed, and could keep my license
if they made 20 wpm, or digital mode testing, a yearly requirement.

yes you wold have to deal with thresult of ruining the ARS
The biggest problem would be freeing up a day to get to wherever the
test was being given.

and having any freqs left to operate on

Acualy I could have gotten one

It was you who said, "I having never been able to passa code test", so
you couldn't have.

you spoke too soon

No, you could have stolen a license - you couldn't have been licensed.

no I could have aloowed other to
There's a difference. Robbing a bank isn't earning a salary.

lots of differences but at least I am in touch with the real world

That's not passing, that's cheating. If you're old enough to go to
school you're old enough to know the difference.

so it is cheating it still is obtaining a license

That's about what it's come to these days, isn't it?

that offer was 30 years ago

but you clearly hate what the ARS is

If he hated it he wouldn't care what it's become.

he hates the ARS today his manner makes that plain

He cares because he
DOESN'T hate it.

no he thinks or igmagine he can hijack it

It's BEEN hijacked - he's trying to get it back.

if it was hijackewd that was 26 years ago theat service does not exist
anymore

and you would enact a sytem that would kill they ARS as it is if you
had the power

There were plenty of hams when 13 wpm was the entry level. A 5 wpm
code test and a *real* written test wouldn't kill it, it would just
separate those who are willing to do what it takes to be hams from
those who just want the license without the work.

maybe nut the current entry rates sugest otherwise

Correlation isn't cause.

but it does relate to results

and He does not
propose 5wpm and writeen test he prososes 13 wpm and a total lack of an
effective entry class and elimiating half the current licees and likely
a lot more than that

Oh, you mean the way it used to be, when there were plenty of hams.

vs the the preusre exerted for our bands

and any "paln" that involves dumping 300,000 hams right of the bat is
pretty going to finish off the ARS

Seems to me we had a pretty good ARS when we only has 100,000 hams. If
dumping 300,000 means losing half, it means having 3 times the number
we used to have. How is tripling "finishing off"?

becuase it would be halfing not triplling and to assume it is only
halfing is generous many of the current generald and extra would be
weed out withon 10 years
if ham radio looks like it it is dying we will loose oour bands to
anyone that wants em indded a likely result would losing many of ou r
hf bands bands to literaly an extpanded CB service our vhf and up
would be savaged

and we would be powerless to resist

CW July 11th 06 04:03 AM

wrote:

[...]

with all due respect to you as a fellow ham I strongly disagree with your
position. I got my ticket the so called "right" way. I've held an advanced
(WA4***) class since I had to drive to the nearest office for for the
written and cw.
Remember when the dam questions weren't even allowed to be published?
Remember those stupid ass ARRL study manuals?Al,how was that better?
Remember when the Dick Bash system came along? As I remember new hams would
mail Dick the questions they remembered and a crude study manual slowly
developed into a pretty accurate (for the time) guide.
Then guys started passing using the system. The "real" hams figured the guys
who used the Dick Bash system weren't real hams "like them". Because they
passed the "right" way and the new guys were, well, you know, what you say
about the techs now.