RadioBanter

-   -   If you had to use CW to save someone's life, would that person die? (https://www.radiobanter.com/swap/98643-if-you-had-use-cw-save-someones-life-would-person-die.html)

Dirk July 12th 06 05:06 PM

If you had to use CW to save someone's life, would that person die?

Ham's care more about operating appliances than knowing how to save a lives.

:-(

Bill Turner July 12th 06 05:47 PM

Cecil Moore July 12th 06 06:14 PM

Dirk wrote:
Ham's care more about operating appliances than knowing how to save a lives.

How many times in the entire history of amateur radio
has a ham used CW to actually save a life? One would
think there would be a book full of examples by now.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

an old freind July 12th 06 06:24 PM

Dirk wrote:
Ham's care more about operating appliances than knowing how to save a lives.

:-(

if i was at my home station is no they would not die

and I am as no code as they come I down right hate the mode and yet y
pc and station is quite able to work cw as needed to save a life if it
was needed

David G. Nagel July 12th 06 06:38 PM

Cecil Moore wrote:

Dirk wrote:

Ham's care more about operating appliances than knowing how to save a
lives.

How many times in the entire history of amateur radio
has a ham used CW to actually save a life? One would
think there would be a book full of examples by now.

A ham operator intercepted the SOS from the RMS Titanic.

an old freind July 12th 06 06:46 PM

David G. Nagel wrote:
Cecil Moore wrote:

Dirk wrote:

Ham's care more about operating appliances than knowing how to save a
lives.

How many times in the entire history of amateur radio
has a ham used CW to actually save a life? One would
think there would be a book full of examples by now.

A ham operator intercepted the SOS from the RMS Titanic.

how many life were saved thereby the Carpathia wheard the call and
arrived to save some folks what role did the ARS playing in saving even
one life that sorry day?

Cecil Moore July 12th 06 07:21 PM

David G. Nagel wrote:
Cecil Moore wrote:
How many times in the entire history of amateur radio
has a ham used CW to actually save a life? One would
think there would be a book full of examples by now.

A ham operator intercepted the SOS from the RMS Titanic.

Did that save even one life? If the Titanic's CW operator
had not bullied the California's CW operator off the air,
the California might have saved the day. But after such
shabby treatment from the Titanic's arrogant CW operator,
the California's CW operator shut down and turned in.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

David G. Nagel July 12th 06 07:33 PM

an old friend wrote:
David G. Nagel wrote:

Cecil Moore wrote:

Dirk wrote:

Ham's care more about operating appliances than knowing how to save a
lives.

How many times in the entire history of amateur radio
has a ham used CW to actually save a life? One would
think there would be a book full of examples by now.

A ham operator intercepted the SOS from the RMS Titanic.

how many life were saved thereby the Carpathia wheard the call and
arrived to save some folks what role did the ARS playing in saving even
one life that sorry day?

We aren't talking about failure to receive a CW SOS. Those ships that
responded did so after receiving word of the sinking by radio. They
saved many lives from the lifeboats which would otherwise have been lost
to the cold.

Dave N

Dave July 12th 06 08:36 PM

David G. Nagel wrote:

Cecil Moore wrote:

Dirk wrote:

Ham's care more about operating appliances than knowing how to save a
lives.

How many times in the entire history of amateur radio
has a ham used CW to actually save a life? One would
think there would be a book full of examples by now.

A ham operator intercepted the SOS from the RMS Titanic.

Yep!! It happened once!