Old May 17th 05, 07:26 AM
Namikis

Default FS: Drake SW8

I have a Drake SW8, S/N: 4B12450092 for sale. It just came back from R.L. Drake where the unit was restored back to spec (new power supply, new whip antenna, repaired power filtration circuits, upgraded firmware, fixed the whip input circuit problem, etc.). The unit is in great shape. I have a Icom R-75 as well and need to chose one to keep (too many rados on nightabe can you get you in truble,,,. The Drake has excellent FM radio capabilities (the bass response is actually very impressive) - but in the end I decided to keep my Icom. I do not listen the the air band much, but it is there if you need it. The unit will be shipped in the original box (actually a new one that Drake used to return the unit after restoring) and with the original manual. Sync detection in this unit is *not* of the selectable sideband variety (offered in later SW8s)- but it wroks well for me - a' la Icom R8A. If you are interested, email me to discuss price (I will go with ebay averagefor pieces of this type nfor the year - OBO). Please contact me if you have more questions. Make me an offer - if it is fair I will consider it!

Thanks,

Jose
Old May 18th 05, 03:20 AM
KD6EVM

Namikis wrote:
[...]

What is the physical condition? Scratches? Dents? Wear?

Tom KD6EVM
Old May 18th 05, 04:48 AM
Namikis

No scratches, dents, or major wear visible (it is not in brand new condition
either, though!). It is in good shape. If you are interested email me and
I will send you hi-res pictures from every angle. The issues with this
unit were the power supply and the whip - and both were replaced by Drake
(and the whip input circuit issue in the original designed fixed). Note
that I will include the documentation on the work done by Drake in May of
this year with the unit. Drake replaced several components of the power
supply circuitry (a cap, a coild, and two resistors) and charged me $4.55
for a new SW8 box and another $4.55 for the "carton liner" (they are making
up for all lost R8B sales, I guess). Reception with the whip is pretty
good - not as good as my Eavesdropper, but still good. The battery
compartment is clean. If interested I will share my ebay user id - 100+
transactions, zero negative feedback.

I see the SW8 as a compact, more solid and better looking Satellit 800. The
fair market values of this recently factory-updated radio shoudl be around
$325. Make me an offer consistent with that and I am game. I will put the
unit on ebay on Thursday if I find no tajkers in rec.radio.shortwave.

Old May 19th 05, 08:03 AM
mike maghakian

what is the auction number, couldn't find yours

"Namikis" wrote in message
news
Moved to eBay...

Old May 19th 05, 12:44 PM
dxAce

mike maghakian wrote:

what is the auction number, couldn't find yours

Looks to be this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=15051&item=5776040 770&rd=1

dxAce
Michigan