Old June 10th 06, 02:08 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default beginner questions about SWL distance and QSL's

Hi,

I just ordered a Degan DE1103. This is my first short-wave radio, and
I have a couple of "beginner" questions.

How far away can I expect to receive with the DE1103? I'd like to pick
up Russian broadcasts. That's not my primary reason for getting it,
but it would be nice.

Also, do people still ask for and receive QSLs? I picked up a library
book about short-wave radio and according to that, getting QSLs is a
fairly common practice. The book was a little old (printed in the
early 90's), so I'm not sure if that's still done.

Thanks.

David

Old June 10th 06, 04:06 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
:-: Ghost Chip :-:

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,

I just ordered a Degan DE1103. This is my first short-wave
radio, and
I have a couple of "beginner" questions.

How far away can I expect to receive with the DE1103? I'd
like to pick
up Russian broadcasts. That's not my primary reason for
getting it,
but it would be nice.

Also, do people still ask for and receive QSLs? I picked up a
library
book about short-wave radio and according to that, getting
QSLs is a
fairly common practice. The book was a little old (printed in
the
early 90's), so I'm not sure if that's still done.

Thanks.

David

You should be able to get Radio Moscow in English at night.
Most stations will send QSL cards. Most also have websites.
GC

Old June 10th 06, 04:24 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Telamon

In article .com,
" wrote:

Hi,

I just ordered a Degan DE1103. This is my first short-wave radio, and
I have a couple of "beginner" questions.

How far away can I expect to receive with the DE1103? I'd like to pick
up Russian broadcasts. That's not my primary reason for getting it,
but it would be nice.

Signals reflect off the ionosphere and water pretty well and land not as
well so the answer is anywhere in the world as long as there is a good
propagation path from them to you.

Also, do people still ask for and receive QSLs? I picked up a library
book about short-wave radio and according to that, getting QSLs is a
fairly common practice. The book was a little old (printed in the
early 90's), so I'm not sure if that's still done.

Yes it is still done but some stations are better about verifying than
others. There are people that read the news group that can answer
questions about QSL's.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Old June 10th 06, 05:25 PM
Senior Member

Location: san francisco, ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by
Hi,

I just ordered a Degan DE1103. This is my first short-wave radio, and
I have a couple of "beginner" questions.

How far away can I expect to receive with the DE1103? I'd like to pick
up Russian broadcasts. That's not my primary reason for getting it,
but it would be nice.

Also, do people still ask for and receive QSLs? I picked up a library
book about short-wave radio and according to that, getting QSLs is a
fairly common practice. The book was a little old (printed in the
early 90's), so I'm not sure if that's still done.

Thanks.

David
Hey David:
You may be interested in my shortwave radio weblog (http://cobaltpet.blogspot.com/), where I post reception reports (descriptions of stations that I have received and what they were broadcasting), and photos of QSL cards that I have received. I submit QSL requests to most stations via email.

Prime time shortwave (http://www.primetimeshortwave.com) is a handy site because it lists a current schedule for many shortwave stations broadcasting in english and listed with their target region (for example: north america, asia, europe, africa). So you can go there and look for broadcasts to North America by the Voice of Russia. In particular the page I use the most is http://www.primetimeshortwave.com/time.html .
__________________
weatherall :: http://cobaltpet.blogspot.com/
Old June 11th 06, 04:35 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
gravity

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,

I just ordered a Degan DE1103. This is my first short-wave radio, and
I have a couple of "beginner" questions.

How far away can I expect to receive with the DE1103? I'd like to pick
up Russian broadcasts. That's not my primary reason for getting it,
but it would be nice.

Also, do people still ask for and receive QSLs? I picked up a library
book about short-wave radio and according to that, getting QSLs is a
fairly common practice. The book was a little old (printed in the
early 90's), so I'm not sure if that's still done.

Thanks.

David

with a good antenna, you should be able to hear half the countries on the
planet, maybe more. Russia is pretty easy to bag, depending on solar cycle
and other factors.

Gravity

Old June 12th 06, 05:07 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

WHOOP,that's an http:// in front of that ingeb.org thangy.Now,lets me go
and look up the Maggie song.
Me face is a painted paggggge,,,, Maggie,and time alone is the
pennnn,,,,,,,
cuhulin

Old June 12th 06, 06:16 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

weatherall

http://www.primetimeshortwave.com/time.html looks very useful.

I'll check out the blog too. Thanks for the links and the information.

David

Old June 12th 06, 06:17 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Art,

I'm in southern NY state. I'll definitely go for Radio Australia.
That should be interesting.

David

Old June 12th 06, 06:20 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

I think it would also be interesting to listen to "pirate" radio. Are
there any pirate stations that broadcast on regular frequencies and at
regular times? It seems like it would be a problem for the
broadcaster, unless I'm misunderstanding what "pirate" means, but it
can't hurt to ask.

Thanks.