Old March 23rd 10, 08:39 PM posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Default Square wave to psuedo-sine wave?

I'm trying to come up with a filter or converter that takes a square
wave input and outputs something closer to a sign wave (varying
between ~1.9kHz and 2.1kHz). It can have some distortion, but I'm
trying to eliminate the sharp leading and trailing edge. One option
I'm pursuing is a bandpass filter (2 caps and 2 resistors), which
looks to give a reasonable output, but still not quite as smooth as
I'd like. I've also considered using a counter feeding a bank of
resistors, but finding a method for it to start counting up with it
hits 0 and down when it hits the high value might be more difficult.

Originally, I had used a wein-bridge oscillator with op-amps to make
the sine wave, but due to the environment, EMI was a problem and it
damped out the oscillations (even with ferrite beads and modest
shielding). So I'd like to avoid using op-amps (since they are
apparently sensitive to EMI) if possible.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!
Dave
Old March 23rd 10, 08:49 PM posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

dave.harper wrote:
[...]

Use a 4017 counter, plus resistors.

Or, there are some nice 5-pole analog filters out there. Not cheap, but
they'll do ya.

You could implement an up/down counter in a PAL. Doing it so that it
up/down counts properly shouldn't be too hard.

Or use one of the myriad itty bitty processors out there -- PIC, AVR,
whatever.

--
Tim Wescott
www.wescottdesign.com
Old March 23rd 10, 09:00 PM posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

On Tue, 23 Mar 2010 12:39:59 -0700 (PDT), "dave.harper"
wrote:

I'm trying to come up with a filter or converter that takes a square
wave input and outputs something closer to a sign wave (varying
between ~1.9kHz and 2.1kHz). It can have some distortion, but I'm
trying to eliminate the sharp leading and trailing edge. One option
I'm pursuing is a bandpass filter (2 caps and 2 resistors), which
looks to give a reasonable output, but still not quite as smooth as
I'd like.

A lowpass filter is appropriate. You're trying to kill the higher
(odd) harmonics but there's no signal below the fundamental, excepting
DC maybe.

A dual-stage RC lowpass would be pretty good, if you set the -3 dB
point around 2 KHz. A higher-order filter, active or LC, would be even
better. An LC filter isn't unreasonable at 2 KHz.

John

Old March 23rd 10, 09:14 PM posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

On Mar 23, 3:39*pm, "dave.harper" wrote:
[...]

Start with a triangle wave, there are less harmonics to filter out.
How bad is the EMI? I like the Wein-bridge. Try using an FET opamp
for it. The only problem I've had with the wien bridge was motor-
boating of the frequency. This was finally solved by using good low
dissipation caps. (Ohh I have seen EMI fuzz.. but only with BJT
opamps.)

George H.
Old March 23rd 10, 09:50 PM posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

"dave.harper" wrote in message
[...]

One possibility is to use a digital filter. These have very sharp roll-offs
(e.g. 8th order for MAX292), you basically feed the clock of the filter with
a multiple of the fundamental frequency of the filter (say 64x), and the
output is a very pure sine wave. The beauty of this is the amplitude of the
output is independent of frequency and you don't have to change filter
components:
http://electronicdesign.com/content....nd-measurement

Another solution is using a multiplexor to create an approximate sine wave
using an 8x clock followed by a filter (the example below uses a pair of
cascaded 2nd order filters). This may suit you better:
http://www.maxim-ic.com/app-notes/index.mvp/id/21

Mark.

Old March 24th 10, 12:52 AM posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

[...]

Function generator. Integrate square wave to get triangle wave. Shape
triangle wave to sine wave using a couple of diodes. See

http://kitsrus.com/projects/k23.pdf

Dan
Old March 24th 10, 01:01 AM posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Function generator. Integrate square wave to get triangle wave. Shape
triangle wave to sine wave using a couple of diodes. See

http://kitsrus.com/projects/k23.pdf

** Contrary to the OP's wishes, that POS uses op-amps.

Have you seen the ugly " sine" wave it produces ??

The diodes will rectify the RF energy.

Not even a starter.

.... Phil

Old March 24th 10, 01:15 PM posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

On Mar 23, 8:01*pm, "Phil Allison" wrote:

Function generator. Integrate square wave to get triangle wave. *Shape
triangle wave to sine wave using a couple of diodes. *See

http://kitsrus.com/projects/k23.pdf

** Contrary to the OP's wishes, that POS uses op-amps.

*Have you seen the ugly " sine" *wave it produces ??

*The diodes will rectify the RF energy.

* Not even a starter.

... *Phil

Contrary to what you think, the OP seems like he would be happy with a
sine wave with only 1% distortion. The diodes will rectify RF but at
the output the signal level should be several orders of magnitude
higher than the RF. So would not expect that to be a problem. The
reference to the kitsrus was to show one implementation that had an
explanation of the circuit.

Dan

Old March 24th 10, 02:03 PM posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

[...]

I would make a five pole elliptic low pass active filter breaking at about 3
kHz with a deep 80 dB notch at the third harmonic of 6 kHz. This is a dual
op amp (2 section) solution and uses a small number of resistors and caps.
You should be able to attenuate all of the harmonics at least 80 dB leaving
a pretty good sine wave.

Old March 24th 10, 03:06 PM posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

dave.harper schrieb:

Originally, I had used a wein-bridge oscillator with op-amps to make
the sine wave, but due to the environment, EMI was a problem and it
damped out the oscillations (even with ferrite beads and modest
shielding). So I'd like to avoid using op-amps (since they are
apparently sensitive to EMI) if possible.

Hello,

a Wien-Robinson bridge oscillator needs a good amplitude stabilisation.
If the amplification is to low, the oscillations will damp out. I guess
there was something wrong with your amplitude stabilisation.

Bye