Old November 3rd 06, 03:44 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.equipment

Default Alliance tenna rotor wiring

Many years ago in the TV bussiness we would use a alliance tenna rotor
4 - wire on a 3 - wire
channel master control box. Now i have the same combination i need to
install on my 6 meter beam
however i fot got the wiring setup?
Does any remember the proper wiring, i think it was combine 1&2 or 3&4
or maybe just dont use #4 but i cant remember the wiring now.

Old April 4th 09, 02:50 PM
Junior Member

Location: Plymouth, MI

Quote:
Originally Posted by n4aeq View Post
Many years ago in the TV bussiness we would use a alliance tenna rotor
4 - wire on a 3 - wire
channel master control box. Now i have the same combination i need to
install on my 6 meter beam
however i fot got the wiring setup?
Does any remember the proper wiring, i think it was combine 1&2 or 3&4
or maybe just dont use #4 but i cant remember the wiring now.
For Alliance, 1 and 2 are CW/CCW and 3 is common. 4 is the sync pulse (momentarily grounds every 6 degrees).

For Channel Master, 1, 2 and 3 are the same as alliance(not sure on CW vs CCW but easy to check by hooking up)

HOWEVER:

Channel Master uses 18 volts AC for the motor, and Alliance uses 24volts ac—won’t you run excessive current on the alliance rotor motor by undervoltage?

I was going to try the same thing and was going to place a properly phased 6 volt transformer in series with the common …

Also, alliance used a 155-210 mfd phase shift capacitor—I’ve seen that Channel Master uses a 130mf, can anyone confirm?? If true, It might make sense to put a 50mf capacitor (bipolar, 50v) from terminal 1 to terminal 2.

I really like the increased load capability of the Alliance--too bad they aren't manufactured anymore.
Old September 20th 09, 07:46 AM
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eskort View Post
For Alliance, 1 and 2 are CW/CCW and 3 is common. 4 is the sync pulse (momentarily grounds every 6 degrees).
I just barrowed an old set up from my uncle (he doesn’t remember using it).
His father used to fix TVs.
I was looking at rotors and controllers on the web. (Don’t remember where),
But a reference was made two connecting #3&4 together. (This could have been a reference to a 4 wire controller to a 3 wire rotor.)
I wired 1,2 & 3 from the Channel Master Mod# 9524C output: 30V, 3 Amp 60Hz. to 1,2 & 3 then jumpered 3 to 4 on the Alliance tenna rotor (don't know what mod.). Rotor does work, but rotates the full 360° when the controller is only at 180°.

Using alliance rotor with channel master box n4aeq Homebrew 1 June 17th 09 01:30 AM
Need wire identification for Alliance Rotor motor DaveM Equipment 1 November 14th 05 04:40 AM
FS: Alliance tenna rotor Joe Boatanchors 0 January 10th 05 03:06 AM
FS: Alliance tenna rotor Joe Swap 0 January 10th 05 03:06 AM
Alliance tenna-rotor controller! Ralph Mowery Antenna 0 November 15th 03 08:10 PM