Old October 9th 07, 09:07 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.radio

Default Type 488 tube

Some photos of an unusual tube I got in a box full. It appears to be a
triode. The only numerical marking I can find indicates a Type 488. I
can't find any information on the usual spots on the web. I made a shot
from the front showing the mesh plate structure and a shot from the
top. I tested it in my tester as a 26 but with 6.3V on the filament and
it tested well in the "Good" zone. Testing as a 45 @ 6.3V on the
filament increased the purple glow and it still tested in the "Good"
zone. Does anybody know what this tube is?

Raymond

Attached Thumbnails
Type 488 tube-488.jpg  Type 488 tube-488top.jpg  Type 488 tube-488as26.jpg  Type 488 tube-488as45.jpg
Old October 9th 07, 09:57 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.radio

The only 88s I'm aware of are all rectifiers. Is it possible that
someone swapped bases with another tube?

Alan
Old October 9th 07, 10:18 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.radio

Alan Douglas wrote:
The only 88s I'm aware of are all rectifiers. Is it possible that
someone swapped bases with another tube?

Alan

Alan,

Here's a shot of everything on the base. Most of it's not intelligible
except for the 488 designation.

Do I have a one-of?

Raymond

Attached Thumbnails
Type 488 tube-base.jpg
Old October 9th 07, 11:08 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.radio

On Tue, 09 Oct 2007 15:07:36 -0500, Raymond Koonce
wrote:

Some photos of an unusual tube I got in a box full. It appears to be a
triode. The only numerical marking I can find indicates a Type 488. I
can't find any information on the usual spots on the web. I made a shot
from the front showing the mesh plate structure and a shot from the
top. I tested it in my tester as a 26 but with 6.3V on the filament and
it tested well in the "Good" zone. Testing as a 45 @ 6.3V on the
filament increased the purple glow and it still tested in the "Good"
zone. Does anybody know what this tube is?

Raymond

I assume that testing did not involve anything except emission, so
Alan may be right that it may be a diode.
But it seems from the photo that there may be a grid there?
Certainly it is gassy, so not really useable.

Peter Dettmann
Old October 9th 07, 11:55 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.radio

wrote:

Some photos of an unusual tube I got in a box full. It appears to be a
triode. The only numerical marking I can find indicates a Type 488. I
can't find any information on the usual spots on the web. I made a shot
from the front showing the mesh plate structure and a shot from the
top. I tested it in my tester as a 26 but with 6.3V on the filament and
it tested well in the "Good" zone. Testing as a 45 @ 6.3V on the
filament increased the purple glow and it still tested in the "Good"
zone. Does anybody know what this tube is?

Raymond

I assume that testing did not involve anything except emission, so
Alan may be right that it may be a diode.
But it seems from the photo that there may be a grid there?
Certainly it is gassy, so not really useable.

Peter Dettmann

Voltage regulator, maybe?

Old October 10th 07, 12:09 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.radio

All I can guess is that someone used a dud tube to test the
hot-stamping dies. The longer name looks vaguely familiar
("Commander" first came to mind which was a Chicago maker I think).

Alan
Old October 10th 07, 01:04 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.radio

wrote:

Some photos of an unusual tube I got in a box full. It appears to be a
triode. The only numerical marking I can find indicates a Type 488. I
can't find any information on the usual spots on the web. I made a shot
from the front showing the mesh plate structure and a shot from the
top. I tested it in my tester as a 26 but with 6.3V on the filament and
it tested well in the "Good" zone. Testing as a 45 @ 6.3V on the
filament increased the purple glow and it still tested in the "Good"
zone. Does anybody know what this tube is?

Raymond

I assume that testing did not involve anything except emission, so
Alan may be right that it may be a diode.
But it seems from the photo that there may be a grid there?
Certainly it is gassy, so not really useable.

Peter Dettmann

Hi Peter,

I have some higher resolution photos and there is definitely a grid
visible behind the mesh. I assumed it to be a triode and gassy. It's
nice to look at anyway.

Raymond
Old October 10th 07, 01:05 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.radio

Alan Douglas wrote:
All I can guess is that someone used a dud tube to test the
hot-stamping dies. The longer name looks vaguely familiar
("Commander" first came to mind which was a Chicago maker I think).

Alan

Thanks for your input Alan.

Old October 10th 07, 03:57 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.radio

wrote:

[...]

formerly used at ALCOA for the electric furnaces....... ;~)

WTB Old tube type Rx Ward Rehkopf Swap 0 April 21st 07 01:42 PM
FS: Tube type 6080WC $2.00 each W6KRC Boatanchors 0 February 6th 06 06:37 PM
FS: Tube type 6080WC $2.00 each W6KRC Swap 0 February 6th 06 06:37 PM
FA: Amplex Model "C" Tube Type Radio - Antique Type - Quite Old !LP Swap 0 October 9th 04 08:58 PM
WTB: OLD Tube type UHF PA AL G. Swap 0 January 28th 04 12:38 AM