Old October 21st 03, 06:35 PM
Dwight Stewart

"Dick Carroll" wrote:

That has to be one of the top 2 or 3 "most lame"
excuses ever offered for discontinuying the code
test-that it isn't relevant to "employers".

What is it that hams learn to pass a ham radio test
*today* that IS relevant to what any employer wants
these days? In a word, NOTHING!

Then I have two questions, Dick - why did you raise the issue and who in
this discussion offered it as an 'excuse" for discontinuing the code test?
Again, you specifically said...

"I still find it beyond incredible that persons who would
learn all that goes into making an engineer would have
any problem whatever with learning the most basic radio
communications skill at the most minimal level."

You brought this up and now claim it "isn't relevant." And I certainly
said nothing about this being an "excuse," or justification, or anything
similar, for ending the code test. In fact, I didn't mention amateur radio
or the code test at all in my response. Instead, my comments addressed the
specific issue you raised - why the engineer would not be interested in
learning code.

Dwight Stewart (W5NET)

http://www.qsl.net/w5net/