Old January 31st 04, 08:46 PM
Ken

Default Folded counterpoise?

I am about to make a multiband QRP counterpoise along the lines of the
one suggested in ARRL Low Power Communication at p. 6-2 -- which
employs a 50 ft length of flat 5-conductor cable.

Rather than use the 5-conductor rotator cable the author suggests, I
want to use ubiquitous 10-conductor computer rainbow ribbon cable, .05
pitch, zip construction, 28 AWG.

The author suggests a 50 ft length, which covers most bands from
10-80, with only the 80M counterpoise longer than 50 ft (it continues
-- connected tail to head -- onto the next conductor for 15.7 ft.)

Having five additional conductors on my ribbon cable than the author
had on his rotator cable, I want to add a few bands, 160M in
particular. This needs to run 131 ft, which is two full 50 ft passes
and one 31 ft length -- also to be connected tail to head, head to
tail, tail to head -- like a collapsed letter "Z" (or "N", for that
mater).

Does it matter if I put these right next to each other (i.e. 0.05"
away)? Or should I separate them with a non-resonant conductor? Or
what?

Ken KC2JDY

Ken
(to reply via email