Old October 29th 03, 10:59 AM
Alun Palmer

"Jim Hampton" wrote in
:

Larry,

I'd gently remind you that there wouldn't be any citizens (well, very
few - only the decendents of the original folks after the revolutionary
war) at all under those rules. My great-grandfather and my grandfather
(when he was 7) immigrated to the US in the late 1800s (my dads side).
My mother's grandfather (my great-grandfather) immigrated from Canada.
If their children couldn't become citizens, I wouldn't be one now.
Heck, how could they hold a draft back in WWII with no citizens? Only
draft foreigners?

73 from Rochester, NY
Jim AA2QA

"

They can draft foreigners, who can then refuse to actually go on the
ground of 'alienage'. This refusal is grounds to be refused a green card,
but it seems, as far as I can tell, that an alien who already had a green
card would not be affected in any way by refusing the draft. Also, an
alien on a visa could stay as long as they had a current visa, even though
refusing the draft would bar them from ever getting a green card. Bear in
mind, also, that aliens who come here after age 25, like me, can never be
drafted because we never get onto the selective service register. Of
course, there is no draft at present, but all these rules kick in if it is
ever reintroduced.