Old November 15th 03, 02:27 AM
Dee D. Flint

"KØHB" wrote in message
k.net...

"Brian" wrote

They must be buying immodestly priced houses, then, because there are
more homeowners than ever before.

As a percentage of the population there are less homeowners than ever
before, and the percentage is trending downward even in this time of
unusually low mortgage interest rates.

de Hans, K0HB

The situation will be self correcting just as in the past. Housing prices
will fall to where more people can afford them and buy them.

Another factor affecting home ownership is that there are today a larger
percentage of people who choose not to own a home for various reasons. If
you can't keep it for several years, you will probably lose money. Seven
years ago, I lost my job in Illinois and had to sell my house at a net loss
since I needed what equity I could get to move to the next job. I'd only
had it a couple of years and the value of the house had not had time to
increase enough to cover the realtor's fee. So although I could have bought
a house when I moved to South Dakota, I chose not to. There was
insufficient information for me to estimate how long I would be there. It
turned out to be a good decision because three years later I moved to
Michigan.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE