Old November 15th 03, 05:47 AM
Dwight Stewart

"Dee D. Flint" wrote:

While I normally disagree with a great many of
Kim's posts. Here she is fundamentally correct.
Consumers do have the choice to be informed
if they really want to. If they don't want to go to
that much work, then it is their own problem.
Government should NOT be doing your research
for you. I certainly don't want MY taxes to go
for the checks on goods and information
dissemination that you seem to think the
government should do for you.

First of all, do understand that we're talking about the economy, not
consumer product information. Kim seems to forget that. Anyway, my position
is that, when it comes to the economy, we pretty much have to depend on the
government at the moment. Business does not generally make it's decisions
(moving factories overseas, overseas investments, investments from overseas,
material purchases, and so on) well known to the general public. It would be
a massive effort for one person to reseach what they do offer to the public
now (and I don't think they offer nearly enough). Take a single industry -
the automobile industry, for example. It would take years for one person to
research what is going on at this very moment in that industry. What is even
worse, and as I've said before, much of the information is not that easy to
obtain. Even if you want to break this research down to just a single
purchase, it is not always that easy. I purchased an "American" car. That
"American" car turned out to be made in Canada (and I didn't know that until
it was delivered). Who knows where the parts in that "American" car were
made. Therefore, as I've also said before, it's just not realistic to simply
expect consumers to be "informed" enough to make wise economic shopping
decisions. As consumers, as Americans, we have to demand government manage
the economy better (as I've previously outlined).

Dwight Stewart (W5NET)

http://www.qsl.net/w5net/