Old November 15th 03, 07:37 AM
Dwight Stewart

"JJ" wrote:

(snip) I have heard five year olds use words that
I would never dared to speak in front of an adult
when I was a youngster. (snip)

I've heard five year olds use words that I, as an adult, would not say in
front of other adults today. I'm certainly not a prude, but I just don't see
how vulgar language improves communications or one's impression of another.

I have had my mouth washed out with soap (by
a teacher at school no less, would like to see
one try that now), for saying much less.

My mother preferred dishwashing liquid (claimed it was safer than some
hand or body soaps). Once was enough for me, but my brother went on a foul
language spree one summer and "got the treatment" probably five or six
times. My sister got it when she was about sixteen or seventeen.

(snip) It isn't uncommon for me to step into an
elevator with my wife and hear others using very
vulgar language with no regards to who is
listening and may be offended by such language.
(snip)

There was a guy and his wife (girlfriend or whatever) in line behind us at
Office Max the other day. I've never heard so much foul language in such a
short amount of time (seemed like every second or third word out of his
mouth). And I'm talking nasty stuff - women's body parts, his wife's body
parts, body parts in general, negative words for men and women, and so on. I
finally asked him to keep his voice down. When that didn't work, I asked him
not to use such language. When I finally got the register, he started it
again. In anger (and since there was nobody else in line), I had the casher
go with me to search for printer ink behind another counter and made sure we
had a nice little conversation. We even talked about his language. When he
finally went to another line, we returned to the register to complete my
purchase. Less than ten seconds later, the guy rushed towards the register
to get behind us again. However, the casher saw him coming and put the
register closed sign up before he got there. As he walked away, and I was
picking up my bag to leave, she smiled real big and told us to have a nice
day. This was one of the few times I truly believed a casher meant those
words when said.

And if you really want to see some sloppyness,
go to a ham fest. (snip)

I can accept a certain level of sloppyness at a ham fest or other casual
event (as opposed to the mall, restaurant, work, or other such places). Or
perhaps I should say that I dress more sloppily at a ham fest than I would
at work or so forth. I just don't really see an overwhelming reason to dress
up for a ham fest.

Dwight Stewart (W5NET)

http://www.qsl.net/w5net/