Old November 15th 03, 12:19 PM
N2EY

In article , "charlesb"
writes:

Not trying to sound like a broken record, but is there any news about the
situation in Virginia with the BPL rollout?

What's the scoop, folks? Anybody hear anything?

Charles,

It's probably too soon to tell. "announcing a rollout" doesn't mean the system
is installed and operating over a wide area - yet. It just means they've done
the paperwork.

I have read reports from WK3C, W1RFI and others that the level of noise from at
least some BPL systems varies dramatically over time, and is apparently related
to the amount of data being passed over the system. So even if the system is
installed and working, if it's feeding one residential customer who spends an
hour a day online the noise will be far less than if there are, say, 20
customers spending far more time swapping MPGs.

And as WK3C emphasizes, it's important that any interference be positively
identified as BPL-created *before* we complain about it. Otherwise we become
"the hams who cried wolf" and our credibility drops.

73 de Jim, N2EY