Old November 15th 03, 03:51 PM
Kim W5TIT

"JJ" wrote in message
Larry Roll K3LT wrote:

Precisely. On amateur radio, one never knows when one will encounter
something which may make someone think twice about our hobby being
a wholesome and proper activity for a young person. When that happens,
whether or not what was said was "legal" within the letter of the law,

the
potential exists for the effect to bring the ARS "...one step closer to
extinction."

73 de Larry, K3LT

Larry, our society has pretty much come to the point that people don't
care what others think of them any more.

I think we all care, JJ, it's just that we've lost our ability to "tolerate"
because it's become a very jealous world.

Foul, vulgar language is used
so much now that it is spoken in homes as if it were accepted language
and the kids pick up on it. I have heard five year olds use words that I
would never dared to speak in front of an adult when I was a youngster.
I have had my mouth washed out with soap (by a teacher at school no
less, would like to see one try that now), for saying much less.

I grew up in a farming community and when around the men, sure a few
cuss words would fly occasionally, especially when the wrench slipped
and a busted knuckle was the result, or over at the local shop where the
farmers gathered as their trucks and tractors were being serviced, a
hell or damn was pretty common, but never in a public place where women
and children were around.

JJ, leaving the children aside because I agree with you on that one...but,
let me assure that in the dairy land where I grew up--we women on the farms
were quite capable of being just as foul-mouthed as any man. Nope, we
didn't do it in front of the men--Heaven forbid they realize we weren't the
demure, dainty pieces they thought we were, but we did it.

And, in my opinion, words don't hurt anyone. It's actions that hurt. I
don't care to hear a little kid running around cursing; I don't even care to
hear it from a man or me. But I also believe that it is our *concept* of it
being so terrible that makes it so. I really mean that. It is the
expression being felt or communicated through a word that is the "bad"
thing. If I say, "I HATE YOU" in the same tone of voice as "I LOVE YOU" you
are going to perceive that you are getting a double message the you are
going to at least wonder if there is some negative emotion being expressed
as I am saying "I LOVE YOU." George Carlin's skit on words had precisely
that lesson in it. It isn't the word--it's the emotion behind it.

There was respect for others then. It isn't
uncommon for me to step into an elevator with my wife and hear others
using very vulgar language with no regards to who is listening and may
be offended by such language. The sad part is, they think it is just
accepted that everyone has lowered themselves to such a common level.

I agree. But, I hope you'll understand that there's a fine line between
having respect for others, and others then being able to "dictate" how I
should behave. For instance, I totally respect anyone's opinion that
cursing in public is offensive to them. So, I generally don't curse in
public. Out loud anyway But, when I am in my house, or in my "corner of
the world with friends of like mind," then I'm going to curse away if I'm so
inclined. Would you dictate that I am rolled up into your opinion with the
others you mention above--or am I being disrespectful to you for cursing at
any time?

Ever set at the mall and just watch the people pass by? Look at the
sloppy dress, some look like they stepped out of a cartoon. Few have
pride in themselves anymore. And if you really want to see some
sloppyness, go to a ham fest. It is a sad commentary on our society today.

Oh, now see. There's where you and I would definitely disagree. I really
don't care how someone is dressed--although I've found myself at times
having to get over an initial reaction, if you know what I mean. If I walk
into a business office and see someone with a t-shirt and jeans on--I am
initially taken off guard. But, I quickly get *myself* over that and
continue with whatever I walked in for. I hate, absolutely hate that I work
in a corporate environment with dark suits around me all day...gosh I hate
that. In other words, I've seen people in very sloppy dress with wonderful
mannerisms and respect for others...and I've seen some people in very fancy
and "respectful" garb that are completely without feelings for anything or
anyone around them.

By the way...you wouldn't be describing mostly youth, above, would you?

Kim W5TIT