Old November 15th 03, 04:08 PM
Kim W5TIT

"Dwight Stewart" wrote in message
ink.net...
"JJ" wrote:

(snip) I have heard five year olds use words that
I would never dared to speak in front of an adult
when I was a youngster. (snip)

I've heard five year olds use words that I, as an adult, would not say

in
front of other adults today. I'm certainly not a prude, but I just don't

see
how vulgar language improves communications or one's impression of

another.

I have had my mouth washed out with soap (by
a teacher at school no less, would like to see
one try that now), for saying much less.

My mother preferred dishwashing liquid (claimed it was safer than some
hand or body soaps). Once was enough for me, but my brother went on a foul
language spree one summer and "got the treatment" probably five or six
times. My sister got it when she was about sixteen or seventeen.

(snip) It isn't uncommon for me to step into an
elevator with my wife and hear others using very
vulgar language with no regards to who is
listening and may be offended by such language.
(snip)

There was a guy and his wife (girlfriend or whatever) in line behind us

at
Office Max the other day. I've never heard so much foul language in such a
short amount of time (seemed like every second or third word out of his
mouth). And I'm talking nasty stuff - women's body parts, his wife's body
parts, body parts in general, negative words for men and women, and so on.

finally asked him to keep his voice down. When that didn't work, I asked

him
not to use such language. When I finally got the register, he started it
again. In anger (and since there was nobody else in line), I had the

casher
go with me to search for printer ink behind another counter and made sure

we
had a nice little conversation. We even talked about his language. When he
finally went to another line, we returned to the register to complete my
purchase. Less than ten seconds later, the guy rushed towards the register
to get behind us again. However, the casher saw him coming and put the
register closed sign up before he got there. As he walked away, and I was
picking up my bag to leave, she smiled real big and told us to have a nice
day. This was one of the few times I truly believed a casher meant those
words when said.

And if you really want to see some sloppyness,
go to a ham fest. (snip)

I can accept a certain level of sloppyness at a ham fest or other casual
event (as opposed to the mall, restaurant, work, or other such places). Or
perhaps I should say that I dress more sloppily at a ham fest than I would
at work or so forth. I just don't really see an overwhelming reason to

dress
up for a ham fest.

Dwight Stewart (W5NET)

http://www.qsl.net/w5net/

I would have asked to visit with the Shift Manager and would have explained
the situation to him/her and asked what the store intended to do about it.
*If* the conversation had been loud enough for the clerk to make a decision
on your complaint, then it was loud enough for her to witness to the Shift
Manager. What would I expect as a consumer? I would expect the store to
ask the people to leave if they persist in offensive behavior in public.
There are laws against it. We probably have to take some form of personal
responsibility--and we may be too stupid or lazy to do so, I don't know--for
those laws to work but, failing that, my action would have been to place my
products down on the counter and walk out of the store.

*That* is what Jim means by shopping with our wallets. On a small, teeny,
tiny scale, I just had a meeting with that company's BoD. And, more people
need to start having that meeting with the BoD. You call it "local" or
whatever. But that BoD makes investment decisions for its shareholders.
And, whether I am a shareholder or not, if me, and you, and him, and her,
and them, and those people over there, and all of us combined start
affecting the bottom dollar of a company's stock price--then we've also have
a very effective meeting with the BoD.

And, the greatest thing is, you could choose to leave without ever saying a
word to anyone--either way you choose to act; *as long as you leave without
purchase* has the same affect.

Kim W5TIT