Old November 16th 03, 11:53 AM
Dwight Stewart

"JJ" wrote:

Casual is OK, but there is a differenc between
casual and sloppy. Clothes that have obviously
been worn for several days and smelly are
sloppy. I have seen a lot of that at ham fest.
Seems that to some hams, the acquiring of a
license means they now only have to take a
bath once a month or less.

I've seen it too, JJ. But, since it's pretty much a personal choice, there
isn't much that can be done except to set a higher standard for ourselves.
In our case (my wife and I), that's easy. We lived in Europe for ten years,
in a country where people tend to dress relatively well in public and keep
their homes and neighborhoods clean. We picked up that habit and now find it
uncomfortable to do anything less. When we first returned, my relatives
constantly complained we were overdressed. That surprised us since we were
wearing the cloths we wore daily in Germany (our nice cloths were still
packed). Many of our friends and family still think we're a little eccentric
(the actual word two of them used) for keeping our home so clean. We've
since started wearing more casual cloths, and are not so rigid on the house
cleaning, but not anywhere near what I see around us. My wife's brother
visited last summer and commented that our house looked like a museum. While
the house was cleaned for the visit, I certainly wouldn't go that far when
describing it.

Dwight Stewart (W5NET)

http://www.qsl.net/w5net/