Old November 18th 03, 07:01 PM
KØHB

"Dan/W4NTI" w4nti@get rid of this mindspring.com wrote

I know this is not 'one way skip', but for a bit of interest... I used to
run skeds into VK land (Australia). During the null of a cycle. There
were times that when I beamed over the SOUTH POLE it was better than the
direct path.

I'm not sure it should be called 'one way skip'. But for lack of a better
term..hi.

That's "skew path" propagation. It's actually pretty common, but you don't
notice it so much when we're high in the sunspot cycle curve. At solar-flux
minimum, however, it becomes more noticed because you are more likely to
"tweak" your beam azimuth to wring that last little half-dB of signal
strength. Also, it seems more prevalent on the lower bands, below 10MHz,
which otherwise can get hammered by auroral zone absorption.

From here in the midwest, the skew path to EU is toward western Africa,
almost 45 degrees of the normal azimuth. During CQWW I often work from
W0AIH's superstation ( http://www.qth.com/w0aih/ ), and use the Africa
rhombic to work Europe --- it's non-intuitive, but you can really roll up
a score on 80M!

73, de Hans, K0HB