Old November 23rd 03, 05:11 PM
N2EY

In article m, "Dee D. Flint"
writes:

"Dwight Stewart" wrote in message
nk.net...
You seriously need to climb off your high horse, Kim. Who in the heck
asked you to "help" anyone in this newsgroup? I came to this newsgroup to
discuss various topics - not be lectured by you with a mandate to drop my
opinions in favor of yours. So, if you're sitting around waiting for that

happen, you're going to be one very, very, tired old woman long before
there's even a glimmer of hope.

While I normally disagree with a great many of Kim's posts. Here she is
fundamentally correct. Consumers do have the choice to be informed if they
really want to. If they don't want to go to that much work, then it is
their own problem.

AGREED!

Government should NOT be doing your research for you.

I disagree. Govt. has a legitimate role in making sure products are reasonably
safe and that claims made for them are not false.

But providing information isn't the same thing as "protecting consumers" from
every imaginable hazard.

certainly don't want MY taxes to go for the checks on goods and information
dissemination that you seem to think the government should do for you.

Remember what cars were like when we were kids, Dee? No seat belts, no head
restraints, single brake systems. Roofs that would crush in a rollover and
solid steering posts that would spear the driver in even a mild crash. Sharp
metal objects all over the inside and outside of the car.

All of these were easily avoidable hazards whose remedies required govt.
intervention in the form of safety legislation. Something as simple as seat
belts was aggressively fought by all of the major US carmakers. Not just on a
cost issue, either - they did not like the psychological impact that they
believed seat belts would create in the minds of car buyers.

Would you want to go back to the kinds of cars we had back then?

73 de Jim, N2EY