Old February 3rd 04, 12:17 AM
W4JLE

When I took my test in 1957, the FCC guy testing , told me the most
difficult test was the amateur advanced.

I took the General Ham and all commercial elements through 1st class and
RADAR endorsement. At that time, there was a time requirement between the
amateur licenses, ergo I was not eligible to take the advanced or extra.

Back then You both sent and received Morse, and a solid one minute out of
three was the passing mark. The test itself consisted of drawing schematics,
supplying missing components to a schematic, etc. Unlike today's NO CODE, No
ELECTRONICS exams.

The fact that they were tough to pass, marked passage into a select group
called HAMS. After waiting about five weeks I finally received that magical
piece of paper that allowed me to contact other members of the fraternity.

My first contact was on 3885 Kcs, checking into the Graveyard Net, finally
getting to talk to the mystical voices I had listened to on my Hammurland
HQ-129X.

Among the biggest thrills of my life.

"Attila The Hun" wrote in message
Bob McConnell wrote:

I am curious about one thing. In 1977 I took the FCC test series for
the commercial phone license. I breezed through third class and passed
the second class elements, but missed first class by 6 points. If I
had turned around and taken the amateur tests at that time, without
the code requirement, what license would I have ended up with?

Bob McConnell
N2SPP

I received my Novice license in late 1974, and worked my way up the
amateur ranks to Advanced. I then moved over to the commercial exams,
and worked up to First Class. I may be wrong, but I don't think you
could get any class of amateur license, without a code test, back in
those days.