Old November 24th 03, 02:10 PM
Ryan, KC8PMX

What goes up must come down as well too.

Not necessarily. Look at where the Dow was when Bill Clinton took office

in
1992...

Actually, I am not sure about the Dow, but my fund of which is comprised of
alot of the DJIA stocks, had increased substantially from the early 90's
till about the time baby Bush was elected.

But that is the beauty of the
stock market. It is a cyclical thing. Ideally it would be like a good
sinus rhythm. It is just merely the knowledge of where to jump in at.

Just as important is knowing when to jump *out*.

Yeah... after sending that message I forgot to add that line...... To use
the ghetto vernacular..... My Bad!

(It soitanly do, but over long time periods that are not relevant to
most of us who don't live over 150 years. More importantly it is what
the market is doing around the time you take your money out.)

Move your money into high yield accounts shortly before you retire,

that
way you'll have more money when you retire!

Buy high, sell low, go broke...

Only if you know what you are doing and have a really good grasp of the
market.

Which absolutely no one has.

I've listened to investment consultants actually pull this one out of
their hats. I know some older folk who have done this and now have
almost no retirement funds.

Yep... not for the weak or feable to try on thier own if not

knowledgeable.

The term is "risk tolerance"- a fancy way of saying how ready you are to

lose
money. And the rule is simple: the closer you are to actually needing the
money, the less your risk tolerance should be.

Which should be the case as nearing closer to the retirement age. Less time
to "make up" the losses if they occur then.

I have to chuckle at your truism. first, because your friend the real
estate agent uses those sort of arguments to talk you into buying
several thousand or tens of thousands more dollars worht of house.
Second is that You are saying a person who gets out of debt is foolish.

Actually the person I got this truism from and believe in it is Bruce
Williams, the talkshow host. If you do the math, it is fairly true.

I did the math and it's false enough to be a worthless truism.

Yeah... but you also added something to the equation that was not there in
the first place.

--
Ryan KC8PMX

"Never take too life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway."