Old November 26th 03, 09:14 PM
Bill Sohl

"Dee D. Flint" wrote in message
gy.com...

"Dwight Stewart" wrote in message
hlink.net...
"Dee D. Flint" wrote:

(snip) If one wants or needs to make other
than local contacts then yes code is
necessary. (snip) If the choice is to turn
off the radio or use code then I'd say that
code is indeed necessary whether or not
it is an emergency.

I think you missed the point. Other than the emergency or public

services
we offer, any contact whatsoever is an avocation, not a necessity.
Therefore, any mode needed to facilitate that would also not be a

necessity.
If one wants to use code during those periods, one can do so by learning
code on his/her own. It is not necessary for the goals and purposes of

the
Amateur Radio Service at this point to mandate that learning through a
testing requirement.

Dwight Stewart (W5NET)

A. I was discussing the USE of code itself not the testing. So the last
two sentences in the above paragraph are not relevant to this discussion.

B. No you missed the point. My point is that if you want to communicate
then code can sometimes be necessary. I was not discussing emergency

coms.
I was discussing the pursuit of my hobby. I believe in minimizing the
impact that propagation has on MY choice of when to participate in that
hobby. The "choice" of turning off the radio simply because of not

knowing
code is not really a choice and is unacceptable.
Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

I presume YOU mean it is "unacceptable" to YOU. It is perfectly acceptable
to me and many others. It is, clearly, a personal choice and that is as it
should be. It is the type of thing I am Thankfull for on
Thanksgiving...i.e.
we live in a country that allows for such individual opinions and choices.

Cheers and don't eat too much tomorrow :-) burp
Bill K2UNK