Old November 26th 03, 09:27 PM
Bill Sohl

"Bert Craig" wrote in message
t...
"KØHB" wrote in message
ink.net...
"N2EY" wrote

Would you want to go back to the kinds of cars we had back then?

In a heartbeat!!!!! Most wonderful car I ever owned is a 1962 Chev
Corvair Corsa convertible.

Woo-hoo, lemme have a 1969 Super-Bee! Alas, all I had was a 1973 Dart with

318. I would've loved to have a 340 Dart with the bumble bee stripe.

sigh

One other car that is probably my all time favorite is the 1973 European
Ford Capri. Not terribly fast, but wonderfully quick and pretty agile too.

had the 2000cc 4 cyl. model but I'd love to drop a modern Ford 3.8l V6 in
one, if I could find one in acceptable cond'n.

Personally, as much as I like "certain" older cars (I have several
antiques),
the reality is that today's vehicles are pretty incredible. Better gas
mileage,
far better handling and they do last much longer in terms of total
mileage and/or years of age. My first new car, a 1964 Chevy Impala
convertible with 283 V8 generally got 18mpg. My 2003 Chevy Silverado,
4x4, Extended cab with a 327 V8 gets about 16-17 on average.

The more recent new cars I've owned have all made it well beyond the
150K miles before being sold or junked. Several went 200K+.
The new cars can run at 75mph all day and not falter in the
heat of summer or cold of winter.

Yes, I love the car club and occasional jaunt alone in my '61 Triumph TR-3,
but
it is the time warp element that makes it the fun event...plus the always
positive comments from bystanders at stopping point...that driving the
TR-3 is. For my day-to-day commute, however, I stick to my new
truck.

Happy Thanksgiving to all. If you like it, drive it.

Cheers,
Bill K2UNK