Old December 5th 03, 11:55 PM
Bill Sohl

"N2EY" wrote in message
In article , Robert Casey
writes:

And it raises the question of "why should hams have to know all sorts
of theory stuff when the original reason for that knowledge is largely
gone"

Well, the FCC allows us to build and modify equipment for use on the ham
bands, and it would be a good idea if we know what we are doing.

Sure.

Just like how the FCC allows us to send and receive Morse code on the ham
bands, and it would be a good idea if we know what we are doing.

Bzzt, passing a code test is NOT required to use morse code
on ALL ham bands. A "no-code" tech is free touse morse
at whatever speed or skill level (or lack of skill level) one
wants to. I have no recollection of anyone ever being cited by
the FCC for "sloppy" or too slow a code speed. Have you?

At least be able to recognize
things like wrong frequency (like out of band), severe harmonics,
splatter, TVI, and such.

Sure.

Just like being at least be able to recognize most of the 43 symbols of

the
Morse Code when sent at the very slow speed of 5 wpm.

That isn't a requirement in terms of actual use of morse.

Cell phone users don't have licenses, but they're not allowed to
modify their equipment either. Same for CBers. A CBer isn't supposed to
modify his radio to
operate on 10m, but a ham could.

Yet they often do just that.

You know anyone that modified their cellphone? CBs we know about,
cellphones...I doubt it.

It becomes a "ham radio set" and no
longer a "CB set".
If and when the FCC says "no homebrewing or modifying, off the shelf
'type accepted'
rigs only, then the theory requirement gets weaker.

Usually such modifications require the high level of technical skill

required
to cut the blue wire or crush diode D17....

And such modifications are not mandatory at all. Most hams today use

certified
equipment, do they not?

Certified against what?

Which is more common on the amateur HF bands: hams using

homebrew/seriously
modified equipment, or hams using Morse code?

Do you really think the written exams adequately test whether a ham can

build
or modify amateur radio equipment - particularly considering the wide

range of
bands, modes and technologies usable by hams?

Did the novice test, even in 1960 adequuately do that? I say no, yet
those novices were also free to "homebrew" or build it themselves.

I doubt the FCC
would ever do
that, as one of our reasons for existing is to encourage learning about
radio and
electronics.

IMHO they've been gradually watering down the theory tests for over 25

years.

Frankly, the General test of 1960 wasn't all that theory difficult. Many of
us just memorized some formulas and some circuit diagrams.

Cheers,
Bill K2UNK