Old December 8th 03, 01:08 AM
N2EY

In article , Alun
writes:

The USA's open-door policies are one reason terror groups were able
at come here and operate the way they did on Sept 11.

Actually, US immigration is amongst the toughest in the world. I can't
help but smile to see it called 'open door'.

I don't mean immigration policies. I mean the the way the USA allows
people in on visas, and doesn't control those who stay illegally.

The main strategy to control this is the I-9 form that everyone fills in
to get a job, even US citizens. The easiest way around that is probably to
work "off the books" for cash. I'm not sure how this could ever be
stopped.

One way to reduce it is high penalties for employers found to be doing such
things, and high rewards and protection for whistle-blowers.

In the case of student visas, as were used in the 911 attacks, it does
seem that immigration ought to check with colleges to see if the students
are still there.

Exactly! That's what I mean by "open-door" - they let lots of folks in and then
don;t check to see what they're really doing.

How did the 9/11 terrorists get into the USA?

On student visas

See above.

This also illustrates one of the conflicts in the way the US economy operates.
Colleges and universities *love* student visas, because foreigners studying in
the USA usually pay cash and help with the institution's need for "diversity".
Such students also help the trade deficit - and considering what a US degree
costs, we're talking serious hard currency per student. So there's pressure to
admit as many cash-paying foreign students as possible.

And the vast majority of them are hard-working, intelligent students whose
purpose in the USA is exactly what they say it is: to get an education.

How much trouble was it
for them to get past INS and set up shop here?

Not much, as it happens. Doing it legally is much more difficult.

There's the problem. It should be easy to do legally and tough to do illegally.

As for tough immigration, check out what is required to immigrate to
New Zealand.

Two words: "Bring money"

73 de Jim, N2EY