Old December 8th 03, 06:25 PM
Dwight Stewart

"N2EY" wrote:
"Dwight Stewart" writes:
I based that on the fact that Morse code has
been widely featured in movies... (snip)

Well, I simply disagree. Most people in the USA
don't really know what Morse code is.

How can you say that, Jim? As I said, Morse code has been shown in some
form or another in perhaps several hundred movies, television shows, and
news broadcasts, over the last forty or fifty years. One would almost have
to live in a cave without electric power to have not heard code at least
several times and not know it is sent with a key (telegraph or other).
Because of that, I think it is absurd to suggest that most don't know what
Morse code is. They may not know the details, but they most certainly do
know what it is.

If they do't even know what it's called, they can
hardly make an informed judgement about it.

Why do they have to know what something is called to make an informed
judgement about it? I may not know what a certain crane is called (or how it
works), but can still make an informed judgement not to stand under any load
that crane may be moving.

That is especially true for anyone interested in radio
(shortwave listeners, potential new hams, and so
on).

Not from what I've seen whenever I've demonstrated
Morse code.

What are you basing that conclusion on? I don't doubt that those people
didn't know how to send code, but you'll never convince me that they didn't
even know what Morse code was.

Dwight Stewart (W5NET)

http://www.qsl.net/w5net/