Old December 10th 03, 01:55 PM
Bill Sohl

"KØHB" wrote in message
ink.net...

"Bill Sohl" wrote

Not the same since there are distinct privileges with those licenses
which differentiate them from the others. IF the FCC had made Advanced
privileges exactly the same as Extra, then I fully believe they would

have
just changed all Advanced to Extra when they were individually
renewed.

From 1951 till 1968 the privileges for four license classes, Conditional,
General, Advanced, and Extra were all exactly the same. We all used the
same frequencies with the same authorized power, and from our call sign

you
couldn't tell one from the other. Life was good.

But that was 35+ years ago and times have changed. I'd bet the
FCC won't do that again and has, to a certain degree already
shown its mindset with the lack of differentiation
between tech and tech+...even though there is a difference
in operating bands permmitted.

Then some dump huck social-engineering gummint dudes, cheered on by a

radio
club in West Hartford, CT., decided to set up a bunch of arbitrary

exclusive
band segments as 'rewards' for advancing amongst the various classes, and
then later drove wider wedges between the classes with the 'reward' of
distinctive call signs for the higher licenses. Whatever good came of

this
is long since lost in the damage caused by 'class wars' which still rage.

My proposal is based first on the notion that there should be two classes

of
license --- "Learners Permit" and "Fully Qualified", and second on the
notion that those learners should operate in the mainstream with

experienced
hams, not segregated off into little ghettos populated with mostly other
learners.

Other than my beliefs at how FCC would likly treat existing
licenses...I generally agree with your proposal.

Cheers,
Bill K2UNK