Old December 15th 03, 07:03 PM
Mike Coslo

Groups trimmed....

Brian wrote:
"Dee D. Flint" wrote in message igy.com...

Several of us have already listed the numerous benefits of the ARRL.

Well, there you have it. What benefits Dee must benefit all.

Again

how did you voice your dissent? Did you get actively and heavily involved?
Doesn't sound like it. If you did get involved, you did not convince the
majority of members to change to your point of view.

Must one become El Supremo Commandant to have an organization that
they belong to and pay dues to represent them? Must be so in this
case.

No - absolutely not!

Instead you choose to have little to no impact on proposed changes by the
FCC.

Actually, the road the FCC took is closer to leadership of the ARS
than the road that the ARRL took.

Yes I know individuals can write letters but a decent sized lobby
has

a far greater effect.

Lobby=Baksheesh. Necessary or not, it is an abomination.

Which is the very saddest part of the whole episode.

An organized body can much more effectively solicit

the backing of other affected groups on questions like BPL.

It is necessary for the ARRL to fight BPL - it threatens their very
existence.

Being "One voice in the maelstrom" is a waste of one's time as it will be
completely obliterated by that maelstrom.

Being in the minority doesn't necessarily make one wrong nor
necessarily make ones efforts a waste of time. Galileo

One of the greatest rules of parliamentary procedure, and a real
cornerstone of representative democracy in gneral is that even though
the majority rules, the minority is allowed to have it's say.

I think waaaaaayyyy too many people these days seem to have forgotten
that. The minority must have it's say.

Dee, I think you are taking a wrong tack on this one. Brian needs his
say, and should not be forced to be a person at a high level of power in
an institution to have his opinion.

Not everyone wants to be active or even *can* be active in an
organization. There are only so many leadership positions.

Now I do not say that everyone should be a member of ARRL. That is up to
the individual. However if you are not, then don't complain about their
policies. Don't complain when BPL makes HF useless in your area. Don't
complain when VHF/UHF frequencies get reallocated to commercial uses. Don't
complain if the government should choose to eliminate amateur radio entirely
as it has tried to do twice in the past.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

Yes, yes, Dee. Of course. Whatever you say. ARRL spam-bot.