Old December 17th 03, 11:46 AM
N2EY

In article , Dave Bushong
writes:

If you don't understand it, then allow me to help. The term "separation
of church and state" does not appear in the US Constitution, nor the
Declaration of Independence.

That's right. It's an interpretation that has developed over the years.

The closest thing to it is in the First
Amendment, which starts with my favorite five words:

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion or
prohibiting the free exercise thereof ..."

Exactly!

"Respecting an establishment of religion" means that the state shall neither
support nor hinder any particular religion above any other. The most logical
way to do that is to separate them.

It must be remembered that in colonial times many of the colonies had
"establishment of religion" meaning that tax dollars were spent on specific
churches, (almost always the Anglican Church, whether you believed in it or
not). There was also a *legal requirement* that an authorized clergyman of that
*established church* preside at weddings, christenings, funerals and other
religious functions. The Founders did not want that sort of thing in their new
country.

73 de Jim, N2EY