Old July 30th 03, 01:13 PM
Floyd Sense

Same setup I and many others used decades ago. One thing you might consider
doing is to move the tuner to the wall where the antenna enters (sounds
like you're in a basement?). You could adjust the tuner anywhere within
earshot of the rig by using a noise bridge and listening to the noise while
adjusting the tuner. The Palomar Tuner Tuner is made for just this type of
operation. They can be had on the used market for about $60, or you can
build your own. Don't use coax to connect between the tuner output and the
antenna lead. You'll be effectively inserting a large capacitance to
ground.

K8AC

"gil" wrote in message
My antenna setup is nothing but a random wire going from a tree/ tuner/

rig
in the basement about 60-70 feet total, I know it could be better but its
all I can get away with for the moment. The ground is a rod thru the

bottom
of the sump where is always wet and I feel is good for RF, I hook the end

of
that to the back of the random wire tuner.
My concern is...the wire coming from window to tuner/rig is about 15 feet
and due to placement I cant shorten it much more,
Should I use a coax from window to rig?
Or just leave it alone?
BTW I use low power about 30-40 watts CW and the setup seems to work

fairly
well on most bands..just concerned about loss and RF inside the shack.
Any input appreciated, and thanks for reading

gil