Old December 29th 03, 04:26 AM
Alun

Mike Coslo wrote in
t:

Dave Head wrote:
On Sat, 27 Dec 2003 00:36:08 GMT, Mike Coslo
wrote:

And what a short-lived phenom that was! Now at the university
level at
least, the Techies and Engineers to a large extent are not from the
US, while our kids are busy getting MBA's and becoming lawyers!

- Mike KB3EIA -

Ya' go where the money is! Engineering is great, but the law, and
management is greater if you're talking from a money angle.

Engineers are workers. They should probably have a division in the
UAW, 'cuz sure as you're born, if you're a worker (employee), you're
going to get abused.

Those doing the abusing are the guys with the MBAs.

There are no longer enough jobs to be had to simply leave if you get
abused, you mostly have to take it. If you do leave, chances are
you'll just get abused by different people.

Lawyers hang out a shingle and charge what the traffic will bear.
They don't have someone else setting their pay rates, nor screwing
around with their health insurance, making them sign away their rights
to anything they might be able to think up and patent, etc.

Look at what's happened to programmers. Their livelihood has been
destroyed both by importation of cheap labor (H1B visas) and export of
the work entirely to places like India, Russia, etc. If you move the
needle on the idiot meter at all, you may just get into programming
school. Then you can figure significantly in the unemplyoment
statistics, or the "working poor" statistics.

You mostly can't export what an MBA does, nor can cheap foreign labor
be imported to do it. Ditto for the law practicioners.

So, no need to wonder why the kids aren't falling all over themselves
to get in line to be abused.

I think the kids today are smarter than we were...

I doubt it! Capitalism is a grand thing, but it destroys the
people who
practice it if they don't have a guiding principle beyond pecuniary
accumulation.

Want to know what happens to us when we are all MBA's and lawyers
and
the rest of the world is doing all the manufacturing and the things too
*low* for us? It isn't going to be pretty!

- Mike KB3EIA -

Right again, but the trouble is that there is no longer any incentive to go
for a productive career. You can't blame people for not lining up to be
exploited, even if the end result is likely to be destruction of the
soceity as a whole. What we have now is a management culture in which
having a low number of overworked employees is considered to be desirable.