Old December 30th 03, 02:38 PM
Dee D. Flint

"Steve Silverwood" wrote in message
I don't know if they keep the exams. From what I understand, the exams
are administered and retained by the VE team rather than the FCC. But I
definitely DO feel that the number of questions should be increased for
each license, with additional weight given to the questions regarding
Part 97 and operating practices, especially for the Tech exam.

Actually I'd like to see a new, separate element that is devoted entirely to
rules and regulations that would have to be passed before taking the
technical elements for the license classes. One should not be able to get
on the air if they miss a significant percentage of the rules. As some have
commented, right now it is quite possible to miss the majority of the
regulatory questions on an exam yet still pass the exam. The exams for the
various classes could then focus on operating procedures and technical
elements. For example, let's call the rules test Element R and then for the
various licenses we could have a system as follows:

Technician - Element R, Element 2
Technician with HF - Element R, Element 1, Element 2
General - Element R, Element 1, Element 2, Element 3
Extra - Element R, Element 1, Element 2, Element 3

Although if it is a truly comprehensive rules test, I'd would find it
acceptable to eliminate element 1 for Tech with HF thus combining the
current Tech & Tech with HF and perhaps even for General.

Too many people just gloss over the rules and are not willing to look them
up. They then rely on other people who have also glossed over the rules
when they have a question and get some really bad information.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE